range finder suggestions

Well i checked out cabelas website and sure enough there it was for 299. I went and checked other websights to read reviews and most places where selling em for 400-430, and getting 5 star reviews. Needless to say, i went back to cabelas and pounced on that deal! Im pretty excited, thanks for your help, and good luck with the 280 ackley. I built mine on a savage action and love it. Yours on a tikka action will be even better! Ive got over 500 162 grain amaxs that i plan to use in mine. They sell for $26 a box of 100 at midway, have a great bc so their good for target, but ive found the 30 cal amax to be excellent for deer and i plan on using these on deer too. I plan on using something stronger for elk tho, maybe i can get my hands on the new accubond LR. If i cant by mid summer i may get some of those barnse lrx and see if i can get a good elk load with those. Never used an all copper bullet of any brand but ive always been curious

Well i checked out cabelas website and sure enough there it was for 299. I went and checked other websights to read reviews and most places where selling em for 400-430, and getting 5 star reviews. Needless to say, i went back to cabelas and pounced on that deal! Im pretty excited, thanks for your help, and good luck with the 280 ackley. I built mine on a savage action and love it. Yours on a tikka action will be even better! Ive got over 500 162 grain amaxs that i plan to use in mine. They sell for $26 a box of 100 at midway, have a great bc so their good for target, but ive found the 30 cal amax to be excellent for deer and i plan on using these on deer too. I plan on using something stronger for elk tho, maybe i can get my hands on the new accubond LR. If i cant by mid summer i may get some of those barnse lrx and see if i can get a good elk load with those. Never used an all copper bullet of any brand but ive always been curious

Right on, happy shooting.

I run the 145LRX in my 7-08 right now and 2700fps is where my accuracy node was, I've used that out to 350yd on antelope and it opened fine on them. The 280AI should carry similar velocity out to ~600yd for that bullet so as long as the gun shoots it well I think it should be a nice combo.

If you do a custom search on the top right hand corner, the Leica 1600/B is hard to beat.

I'm sure its a great unit but as with guns, scopes, binos, etc. there are tiers. Sure my Zenray ED3 binos aren't swarovski but they are pretty decent and fit the budget ($400 vs $1000). Similarly the Leica unit is quite nice and if I was a 1000yd shooter I certainly would want to step up. But for the price point the 1000yd units work well to the 500-600yd range, in my opinion, and they fit the thread starter's stated budget.

If you do a custom search on the top right hand corner, the Leica 1600/B is hard to beat.

I'm sure its a great unit but as with guns, scopes, binos, etc. there are tiers. Sure my Zenray ED3 binos aren't swarovski but they are pretty decent and fit the budget ($400 vs $1000). Similarly the Leica unit is quite nice and if I was a 1000yd shooter I certainly would want to step up. But for the price point the 1000yd units work well to the 500-600yd range, in my opinion, and they fit the thread starter's stated budget.

Yes, they are indeed a great unit for for LR hunting and shooting. However, they are as good in bowhunting as they can be easily stowed conveniently and access readily on and off my shirt pocket. :D

As far as budget, if you do a "regular" price of the RF unit per yardage capability, you'll be surprise of the outcome ...

Leupold TBR 1000i is $400/100 = $.4/yard.

vs.

Leica 1600-B is $800/1600 = $.5/yard.

I've seen the Leica 1600 for under $600/1600 = $.38/yard

Having said that my Leica 1600 have ranged elk 1830 yards and object beyond 2000 yards. My friend's TBR's best range on a non-reflective is a little over 500 yards and reflective is just shy of 800 yards; he's happy with it as it meets his requirements.

Price/budget is relative and because this is LR, IMHO the Leica 1600 or 1600B (as well as the 1000 and 1200 series) is a better buy.

NOTE: The Leica has one of the smallest beam divergence and one of the primary reason of it's effectiveness. Jeff (BROZ) did extensive real world comparative analysis of the Leica against his Swaro RF.

However, "we" can only provide a sound advice and the OP has the ultimate responsibility to make the decision and the consequences associated with it.

Attachments

• 10469232_10203758273824012_2889136760394505188_n.jpg
    10469232_10203758273824012_2889136760394505188_n.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 54
Thank you for your input, the dollar per yard is a good point. But considering my income, it looks like im not gonna be ranging out to 1600 yards anytime soon unless i win the lottery lol maybe someday i'll have one but for now it looks like i'll be rockin the leupold

Thank you for your input, the dollar per yard is a good point. But considering my income, it looks like im not gonna be ranging out to 1600 yards anytime soon unless i win the lottery lol maybe someday i'll have one but for now it looks like i'll be rockin the leupold

Believe me I do understand! The LR shooting/hunting hobby is NOT cheap. :cool:

Keep an eye on the classifieds section; LR members are constantly upgrading their RFs and you can normally find excellent deals.

Good luck!

I just got the Leupold 1200i on sale for $399 at Cabelas. Only played with it this morning but it is definitely not a piece of junk or bow model. Neither was the Leupold 600 it replaced. I will say you probably want something that will range double your maximum range. Knowing you have to get 200-300-400-500 yards closer to find your max ethical range is a lot better than simply knowing the animal is too far.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.