Laser Range Finder Suggestion

WizardM

I somehow lost my range finder from my last hunting trip. Now I'm looking for a new range finder. For all your LRH enthusiasts, what do you recommend a good one that's up to 1500 yards, and not going to break my pocket?

I somehow lost my range finder from my last hunting trip. Now I'm looking for a new range finder. For all your LRH enthusiasts, what do you recommend a good one that's up to 1500 yards, and not going to break my pocket?

A tape measure.

AJ

Well it wont get 1500 for ya but I love my Leica 1200. It will range a big flat object out to 1450, and little stuff out to its 1200 range with no probelms.

My favorite is the Leica geovid bino combo, but thats one set of optics you do not want to lose in the woods! $$$

Next is the leica 1200. The swaro has a little performance edge, but I like the Leica display better, its cheaper, & for most of what I'm interested in doing (hunting <1000 yards, 90% under 800 yards) it works good. Another aspect is that in a few years the market will have small, dependable, & affordable 2000 yard finders, so spending a bunch of $$ on something that you will want to replace as technology leapfrogs may not be appealing.

I have been using my Leica 1200 LRF for years and I love it! I have been told the new models are even better. You might find a used one in good condition if a new one doesn't fit in the budget. NJS

I have been using my Leica 1200 LRF for years and I love it! I have been told the new models are even better. You might find a used one in good condition if a new one doesn't fit in the budget. NJS

There's one laying somewhere in the middle of Nebraska, if you can find it you can have it:D. That's what lead me to buy my Swaro. My Leica always worked fine out to about 900 yards.

Stay away from the Leupold RX series I have a RX-4 and it advertises to work out to 1500 yds I cant even mark a large building at anything past 800..
I have used the Leica and I am going to pick one of these up before hunting season they work great out past 1000 and the size of it is hard to beat for portability

My favorite is the Leica geovid bino combo, but thats one set of optics you do not want to lose in the woods! $$$

Next is the leica 1200. The swaro has a little performance edge, but I like the Leica display better, its cheaper, & for most of what I'm interested in doing (hunting <1000 yards, 90% under 800 yards) it works good. Another aspect is that in a few years the market will have small, dependable, & affordable 2000 yard finders, so spending a bunch of $$ on something that you will want to replace as technology leapfrogs may not be appealing.

I agree with you, Sharpstick. Why spent a fortune on technology that's going to change so quickly. My goal is to get a very good range finder and use it for maybe five years, then upgrade to a new model later.

Bushnell Elite 1500 has served me well.

I have compared the elite to leica BRF. The leica is sensitive and picks-up small objects and measures more accurately than bushnell. However bushnell elite 1500 really proved itself in several snowstorms because it can still read up to 800 yards in light snow where the leica couldn't pick-up any distances.

Plus the elite flatout can't range small objects on the flats beyond 700 yards, it needs the hill, rock, tree... to aid in ranging.

The BRF consistently gets up 1100 yards and the elite consistently gets up to 1300 yards. All of this info is according to my experience.

Swaros are the best I know of, I'm not familiar with newcon but they are attractive.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.