Range finder and ballistic app.

Wachsmann

I got to thinking about something I might be doing wrong or causing error in my solution and I was hoping someone may have done this are might have an answer. So here is the issue. I run my range finder the kilo 2400 or 2000 I forget but I run it in the adjusted range mode for incline. So it's not true yardage it take in account of the angle. Then once on target I place my phone on the scope to get an angle setup. Run the calculation and use the yardage reported from the range finder. I don't know if I'm introducing a small amount of error this way. I think the app will correct for the angle also. It's applied ballistic app. Any thoughts. I'm generally are about 3/4 MOA or MOA at 700 to 1000. It still seem to work cause I taken 2 deer at distance but maybe it's just a small amount of eero that I'm not noticing.

I have the Sig 2400ABS. Once you set up your rifle profiles, all you do is click the range (with range finder angle) and it gives you shoot to MOA in the range finder. You don't run a separate ballistic AP for it because it's built in.

It also Bluetooths to your phone to show you conditions and more in your ap.

Is yours not an ABS (Applied Ballistic built into range finder) model? BDX?

It sounds like you're basically doubling the angle (shoot to yardage, then compensating that angle again in your ap).

? Why would you run 2 ballistic apps? The Sig has the AB ballistic calculator built in and can correct for angle. You are just introducing more chances for error by running the two apps primarily bc of what environmentals have been inputted into each ( assuming all of your load data matches).

Lots of times my solvers and everyone that I shoot with has their solver accurate to the 3/4-1 moa at longer ranges. It's quite normal especially when shooting at an angle, make sure you are only calculating angle once. Usually it's one or two settings that are out just slightly. Including your actual velocity and cold bore/warm bore and everything else including you that day. I know I'm going to get flamed at for saying that because people everywhere believe that the number spit out should match every time. Even listen to applied ballistics podcasts and such. The natural nature of shooting and dispersion of bullets will lead to that. If you can get that consistently you are doing good. I've given up on trying to get the first shot to be dead center. Even my F-Class stuff will get it **** close and you have to adjust just that slight bit everytime. Then you watch over 15shots in the next couple minutes how a wind change that you didn't see pushes you over 6inches at 900yards. Or how bullets rise on a warm barrel

If you are using an app and using the slope
Angle from the phone, the app will adjust the moa
Or mil for a shoot to solution. In this case you will use the los or line of sight yardage to the target….. do not use the lrf's adjusted yardage turn that feature off.

If you are using a lrf with ballistics solver like a 2400, you only need to press the button and get the shoot to solution displayed in the lrf. It does the adjustment to your moa or mil solution for you.

I highly recommend not using the adjusted yardage method. It's more accurate to use the actual yardage or los and then adjust the moa solution. More accurate. Basically instead of taking 5% off the yards you take 5% off the solution, which is how a ballistic program does it.

The rangefinder determines equivalent horizontal range. That number should be used as the flat distance you put into you ballistic data to determine holdover. Don't correct twice.

I don't remember the actual model of the sig kilo I have but it's a early one that has not ballistic spp in it. It can only adjust for angle but I think I am double correcting the way I use my phone app and using my range finder in that function. I'll have to change the range finder and see how that work if. I think I want to try it like it is and then do it the other way and see what the difference is. Any good excuse to go and shoot some more. 😆

I don't remember the actual model of the sig kilo I have but it's a early one that has not ballistic spp in it. It can only adjust for angle but I think I am double correcting the way I use my phone app and using my range finder in that function. I'll have to change the range finder and see how that work if. I think I want to try it like it is and then do it the other way and see what the difference is. Any good excuse to go and shoot some more. 😆
You really don't want EHR, Equivalent Horizontal Range or what is known as the riflemans rule. The correction needs to be the MOA solution. To see the effects of this use your app for modeling a couple scenario's. For example a 15 degree slope at 1000 yards. 15 slope is .96% correction or 4%. So easy math is 1000 yards with 15* is 960 yards. Input EHR of 960 into your app and run a solution. For example one of my rifles shows dial to be at 1000 as follows:

0 slope - 22.8
15 slope - 22.0
960 yards 0 slope - 21.4

Using EHR your bullet will impact low by .6 moa. Using the app formula your impact will be spot on if your other inputs and you are accurate.

I have the Kilo 2200, the modes are:
  • ABU, which shows corrections for elevation and windage in the range finder for whatever distance and angle you have ranged. This also works with the BDX scopes if you have one of those.
  • AMR, which I use for archery, the display only shows horizontal distance to target if you range level but will show the angle you've ranged at if close enough, changes to LOS beyond 100yds(?) I think...
  • Last is LOS that measures the line of sight distance to the target ranged and shows the angle to that target. Use LOS if you are using a separate ballistic app on phone/tablet/laptop etc. and get your solution from there.
ABU requires the BDX app to provide firing solutions in the rangefinder and you need to remember to sync the RF and app with the correct load if you have more than one rifle setup in custom profiles. And getting everything synced up, scope/rifle/RF/app, can be tricky sometimes, and then the battery dies in the scope and you don't notice until you are hiking in and see deer and turn on the scope. Too much tech...

I guess I'm a little behind the times on this it's a Sig Kilo 2000 bought back in 2016. So it only has the LOS mode and the adjusted angle mode but I'll start using it in the LOS mode. And then use my phone applied ballistic app for there rest along with my kestrel. Some day it would be nice to just go into the field with a range finder that had every thing else even a built in wind meter.