Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

74honker, yes, they have been working on doing that for several years. There are 26 laws or rules of use for them, enacted by the federal government. But unfortunately, so many people don't think they were meant to be followed by them. A little bit of common sense goes a long way in their usage as well. You need to be considerate of others that want to use that land as well and think about that aspect of their usage as well. Signs are to be placed at all entrance points (access points) telling of their use in that area. With in ten feet of each unit's placement there is to be a stake sign saying that one is placed there, with an arrow pointing towards it. These signs have a resemblance of what one looks like. They are also bilingual American English and Spanish, red and white in color with a skull and cross bones on them. As with so many other things in our world and life in the United States of America a few people not doing the correct actions or using some common sense and showing a little amount of consideration of others has taken its toll on the rest of us. Sadly, so many of the freedoms that we have taken for granted and lost are due to just a few other persons bad acting!
The last Sentence: Leftists and our Corrupt Government
Remember Lexington & Concorde❗

We are having winds gusting to 35 mph here today they shifted from the southwest to the northwest and the temperature is dropping now at 10:00 AM it was already at 46 but now at 10:45 it'd down to 45. Most of the moisture we get this time of year is mostly a problem not a help. The moisture content of the snow is low, it blows off into draws and drifts, creates slick roads and poor visibility for driving. The cold does keep the insect populations in check. I have seen dry roads in the morning, then the wind picked up snow and started blowing snow across the road, the snow would hit the warmer road surface start to melt and stick to the road as more snow blew and did the same then traffic packed down making it hard ice, and it just kept building up on the roads so by afternoon the once dry roads were dangerous to drive on in several places. Calling isn't something a person would even consider on days like this, and the wind was blowing all night last night and will be for a few days and nights. Making snares that are set the best option for coyote work, providing you know how to set them to keep the wind from closing them or drifting them in and freezing them to the ground. As I have said in the past tilt the lock upward a little so the wind doesn't cause it to slide closed and put the bottom of the loop off of the ground so the animal's feet go under it as well as it not setting to where it will freeze to the ground and helping the snow blow clear of it. Using locks that slide freely on your cable helps them work better when you get heavy frosts on your cables as well as when you get freezing rains or blowing wet snows but not much will help if you get too much of those conditions. Stay warm and dry.

In the west and southwest parts of the state of Wyoming we lost up to 92 percent of the fawn crop, and they really haven't published numbers on the yearlings and adults that died last winter yet. It will take a few years for them to comeback. I am finally seeing some rabbits coming back in my area. Not a lot of mouse or vole activity at this time usually you can see the little tracks in the dust and or snow in the sagebrush but not this year so far. I haven't seen a lot of partridge or grouse sign either. I have seen some swift fox and a little bobcat sign not much red fox or coyote sign where I have been. I am seeing a few mule deer does and bucks but very few fawns and yearlings. Several antelope adults and a few of last years as well as this year's young, not a lot of larger bucks at this time. We did get a good crop of grass this year, as we had the best moisture I have seen since the early 70's, I don't know how the mid 70's were here as I wasn't here for them, but I do know that the late 70's and early 80's were hard winters here. At this time, it looks like the prey base is low and so is the predator base perhaps that is why the coyotes only had an average of five pups this spring a hard winter causing them too not be as healthy as they normally would have been, less food to feed growing pups and the parents so fewer pups being born to less healthy adult females and less healthy pups being born as well so fewer survived.

We are having winds gusting to 35 mph here today they shifted from the southwest to the northwest and the temperature is dropping now at 10:00 AM it was already at 46 but now at 10:45 it'd down to 45. Most of the moisture we get this time of year is mostly a problem not a help. The moisture content of the snow is low, it blows off into draws and drifts, creates slick roads and poor visibility for driving. The cold does keep the insect populations in check. I have seen dry roads in the morning, then the wind picked up snow and started blowing snow across the road, the snow would hit the warmer road surface start to melt and stick to the road as more snow blew and did the same then traffic packed down making it hard ice, and it just kept building up on the roads so by afternoon the once dry roads were dangerous to drive on in several places. Calling isn't something a person would even consider on days like this, and the wind was blowing all night last night and will be for a few days and nights. Making snares that are set the best option for coyote work, providing you know how to set them to keep the wind from closing them or drifting them in and freezing them to the ground. As I have said in the past tilt the lock upward a little so the wind doesn't cause it to slide closed and put the bottom of the loop off of the ground so the animal's feet go under it as well as it not setting to where it will freeze to the ground and helping the snow blow clear of it. Using locks that slide freely on your cable helps them work better when you get heavy frosts on your cables as well as when you get freezing rains or blowing wet snows but not much will help if you get too much of those conditions. Stay warm and dry.
Where are you buying your locks and stops.

In the west and southwest parts of the state of Wyoming we lost up to 92 percent of the fawn crop, and they really haven't published numbers on the yearlings and adults that died last winter yet. It will take a few years for them to comeback. I am finally seeing some rabbits coming back in my area. Not a lot of mouse or vole activity at this time usually you can see the little tracks in the dust and or snow in the sagebrush but not this year so far. I haven't seen a lot of partridge or grouse sign either. I have seen some swift fox and a little bobcat sign not much red fox or coyote sign where I have been. I am seeing a few mule deer does and bucks but very few fawns and yearlings. Several antelope adults and a few of last years as well as this year's young, not a lot of larger bucks at this time. We did get a good crop of grass this year, as we had the best moisture I have seen since the early 70's, I don't know how the mid 70's were here as I wasn't here for them, but I do know that the late 70's and early 80's were hard winters here. At this time, it looks like the prey base is low and so is the predator base perhaps that is why the coyotes only had an average of five pups this spring a hard winter causing them too not be as healthy as they normally would have been, less food to feed growing pups and the parents so fewer pups being born to less healthy adult females and less healthy pups being born as well so fewer survived.
Sunday we (Diane) & I were at the family farm. Luv wanted a Christmas 🎄 Due to last winters severity and TimberWolves we saw ONE deer 🦌 track in 1.75 mile straight line distance. Actually traveled 2 1/2 miles or more. Saw one fox. 🦊 track, one coyote track, & 2 TimberWolf tracks. No grouse.
In my 55 years, in a 2hr drive radius from Eveleth, Mn, I've NEVER seen such a lack of deer and abundance of Wolves which are on everyone's Trail Cameras
In abundant times for many years it was common to count 100 deer 🦌 on the fields in a couple mile drive
Out back where I shoot in the winter, a Timber came thru on Saturday night
Needless to say People are Pi..ed.
Except the Tree 🌲 Huggers & Leftists
Mn Wisconsin & Michigan are traditionally Yellow Dog 🐕 Democrat States. Meaning: they would vote for a yellow dog 🐕 if it had Democrat on it.
The metropolitan areas hold the blue vote, 🗳️ although election fraud was prevalent
Walz refers to country folk as The land of rocks 🪨 & Cows 🐄
Still no snow ❄️ & 40* again 😃

I have been getting mine from Minesota trapline products, I used to use O'Gormans till I retired a few years back since I started again, I haven't found their address. I am using cam locks with s-hook break aways. I get my cable from them also.

Please don't turn this into a political site. We all have our beliefs on the political conditions in the United States of America and our views of our religious beliefs there is a time and a place to visit about them, but this isn't that place. Thank You for your restraint in those areas.

I have been getting mine from Minesota trapline products, I used to use O'Gormans till I retired a few years back since I started again, I haven't found their address. I am using cam locks with s-hook break aways. I get my cable from them also.
I use Minnesota also, they came to Texas at a Texas Trapper Rendezvous and I liked them. I use black cam locks with teeth, twisted heavy swivels and improvised my own break away. A 1/4" lock washer, spring it open and run it thru the hole on the lock then close it, thread the cable thru the washer, works but maybe a little too strong. Big hog got in my 3/32 coyote snare and stripped the stop at the swivel. going back with 1/8 and looped ends. I am 10 days on a place with some educated coyotes and we will have to visit on this sometime. thanks

What length of cable are you normally using? I'm pretty fortunate that I don't have any hogs to contend with. I think they would be like dealing with a supersized badger. I did one time catch a potbellied pig, that a woman turned out to find for itself, when she became unable to. Depending on where you are in the state, we do have some wolves. but I find it depends on where I put my sets as to what I catch I can pretty much determine what is going where and avoid the unwanted catches. What are the coyotes trained to in your area? Calls, snares and trap set types? I was talking to a younger guy the other day and told him that I use bigger locks and simmer my snares in baking soda he looked at me and said I buy the snares that have the black painted locks I don't have to treat my snares. And I think that the smaller locks work better than the bigger locks. I said okay let me show you what the difference is in one of mine and one of yours, the way they look and work. His 1/16-inch locks on 5/64 cable were binding on the cable as were his 5/64 locks on 3/32 cable. my cable was dull gray while his being new and untreated was shiny. My locks slid well on my cable closed fast and locked up. I said that to me it was important that the cable didn't move till the lock had worked and was set he told me it didn't matter if the cable moved the lock would set when the animal hit the end of the cable. Some people have it all figured out already, and that is why I get to come in and clean up after them. As time has gone by, I have evolved in my process's and will till I can't get out any longer. Some of us are born to get set in a pattern and then the coyotes learn that pattern and we can't seem to change so than they can avoid what it is that we do to try and get them. Yes, I too have been guilty of just that, and that is why I know about the need to evolve my techniques as I go along.

32" on 3/32 and I load mine, not too strong of a curve. Boil when I can. Hog snares are 36". shorter the better unless you got a stump drag and a day to find it. a 200 lb Russian boar is strong and mean. A 400 lb Russian is a dangerous force to be reckoned with. Shot one that was mixed in with the cattle, he was lean and had 2 snares behind the tushes and another around his head, all 1/8 cable and broke. He was locked shut and in a bad way. Non targets always must be planned for, Audad are the worst, have heavy chain and every splice link welded, jaw ends too. Caught a roping steer once in a #2 bridger nailed down. Burro once.

Is O'Gormans the same as F&T fur harvesters supply in MI?
Only trapping I do is for vermin control, skunk, possum, fox, gopher, etc and have to be careful to not catch the domestics.

Last edited:
No, O'Gormans is out of Brodus Montana Crag did trapping instructions and his wife Dana did the lure bait and equipment with her help Nancy. I used M&M Furs out of Bridgeport South Dakota till around 1986 than switched to O'Gormans when they would ship to my area. For a long time, they wouldn't ship to anyone within a 400-mile radius of Brodus MT. . No helping anyone that might be competitors of yours. He taught that theory to a lot of people. I found that at my trap sets urine caused me a lot of problems with unwanted catches. I started using mostly flat sets and just a small amount of fox gland lure, a green pea sized amount, on my backing. That helped with the unwanted catches even with the skunks, rabbits and badgers, that tended to be a problem at the dirt hole type of set. Having my traps adjusted and tuned also helped with the smaller animals, having them set at the distances from my backing also helped with unwanted catches 3-4 inches to the right-hand side on the downwind approach side and 8-10 inches to the downwind side back from the backing, unless the animal showed me that it was left pawed. As with humans most bobcats, fox and coyote are right pawed. Most of the time I used a cotton ball for my lure holder, at my backing held down in place with a piece of 16-gauge wire ran through it twisted and pushed into the ground. My backing was short enough for the animal to see over and the wind not to drift snow or dirt over it. when I was going after bobcats, fox or coyote I ran #3 off set square jaw traps with the jaw tips turned up. I put a vee notch in the tip of the dog and a vee notch in the pan so that it worked as a gun sear, and fired without any give as the animal was putting good downward pressure on the pan so that I got a good higher catch not on the paw or pads. The trap was swiveled at the end of the frame, mid chain and at the end where it was staked. I used 18 inches of chain that was welded link then put three links of good 3/16-inch welded link chain that I rounded to accept a half inch rebar steak so as to be able to double or triple stake, if need be, in loose soils. It's an art form and can be refined as much as one wants to, some never hone their skills more than needed to catch the average coyote but there have been those few that were truly amazing at catching animals the others had given up on.

I found that at my trap sets urine caused me a lot of problems with unwanted catches. I started using mostly flat sets and just a small amount of fox gland lure, a green pea sized amount, on my backing. That helped with the unwanted catches even with the skunks, rabbits and badgers, that tended to be a problem at the dirt hole type of set. Having my traps adjusted and tuned also helped with the smaller animals, having them set at the distances from my backing also helped with unwanted catches 3-4 inches to the right-hand side on the downwind approach side and 8-10 inches to the downwind side back from the backing, unless the animal showed me that it was left pawed. As with humans most bobcats, fox and coyote are right pawed. Most of the time I used a cotton ball for my lure holder, at my backing held down in place with a piece of 16-gauge wire ran through it twisted and pushed into the ground. My backing was short enough for the animal to see over and the wind not to drift snow or dirt over it. when I was going after bobcats, fox or coyote I ran #3 off set square jaw traps with the jaw tips turned up. I put a vee notch in the tip of the dog and a vee notch in the pan so that it worked as a gun sear, and fired without any give as the animal was putting good downward pressure on the pan so that I got a good higher catch not on the paw or pads. The trap was swiveled at the end of the frame, mid chain and at the end where it was staked. I used 18 inches of chain that was welded link then put three links of good 3/16-inch welded link chain that I rounded to accept a half inch rebar steak so as to be able to double or triple stake, if need be, in loose soils. It's an art form and can be refined as much as one wants to, some never hone their skills more than needed to catch the average coyote but there have been those few that were truly amazing at catching animals the others had given up on.
Dave, you are a wealth of information. What little I know was from trial and error, now that I have more free time on my hand I try and utilize the info I find from all sorts of places. I have followed this thread from the beginning and appreciate everyone's contributions.

Thank You for your kind words, Brother Buckwheat. The cotton ball was more than just a place to put my lure it was also sight appeal, a bright white spot in a field of browns and gray greens. Dried grasses, dirt, sagebrush and cactus, then a bright white spot catches the eye really well especially when it's down at ground level and smells of red fox. A coyote fox or bobcat when caught would usually eat the cotton ball and the small piece of wire but if not, it soon melted down and fed the dirt some nutrients. I also try to keep learning from others as well and continually change some small things that I do because someone else said that it worked for them, I might have to make a few changes to what they do for my situation, or they may need to adjust what I do for their situation. When some people tell me they are having a problem with this or that happening to them, and I've had similar experiences and found that changing to do it this way so share that with a person, and they tell me it won't do them any good I will smile at them shake my head and figure that I can't be of any help to them anymore. But if a two-year-old sees something and asks me about it or what would happen here I will think it over. And have found that they had a good and different perspective that warranted trying. Each area has its own quirks and laws that we need to figure out and work with I don't have any wild hogs, aoudads and things like that to contend with. I do have deer, antelope, cows, sheep to work around. In most of my area it's pretty open, not many trees, but a lot of sagebrush deep draws and rock piles. So, what works for me might not work exactly as it would in flat brushy country or rolling hills with a lot of timber but making a few modifications to what I do so that it better fits your area will help you if you can take some of my thoughts and adapt them for your needs. I can give you the basic way that I do things, but your mind will tell you how to make it fit you and your needs. That is a big part of the attraction that keeps us doing what we do with predators using our minds and visiting with others to give us more ideas to play around with and fine tune them for our needs.