Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

When you are out and invade their home range if they think you are a coyote or another canine even the old males will have very high-pitched yodeling type of howls with two or three barks after the howl with just a few seconds between them doing it over and over again, it's an agitated sound telling the offender to leave I'm mad now, I really don't want to fight you but will if I am pushed any more. They will make the same sounds if you are too close to their den with pups in it but will get out up to 500 yards from the den and out in the open to try and lure the offender away from the babies, often even if they know you are a human. The yodeling howls are extremely shrill the same as we humans' voices get higher pitched when we are startled or very upset.

When you are out and invade their home range if they think you are a coyote or another canine even the old males will have very high-pitched yodeling type of howls with two or three barks after the howl with just a few seconds between them doing it over and over again, it's an agitated sound telling the offender to leave I'm mad now, I really don't want to fight you but will if I am pushed any more. They will make the same sounds if you are too close to their den with pups in it but will get out up to 500 yards from the den and out in the open to try and lure the offender away from the babies, often even if they know you are a human. The yodeling howls are extremely shrill the same as we humans' voices get higher pitched when we are startled or very upset.
Yeah, I've heard that many times and recognized it for what it is, especially if I happen to approach their area from upwind.

I have enjoyed Many hours reading your advice, coyote control methods, and hunting adventures.
Outstanding stories, informative and well written!
-
I started deer hunting on a Texas lease with friends. The land here is nearly all native grass, and supports cow/calf operations.
To successfully deer hunt, requires running corn feeders. The feeders work well for deer, and also brings in feral hogs...
The hogs are a problem as they run the deer off from the corn. So we kill and drag off the hogs in order to see deer within range of our blinds.
Now the dead hogs are consumed by buzzards, and Coyotes!
I started dragging my hog kills to an opening in the mesquite trees I could clearly see from my stand on a ridge. Soon, I had 14 hogs in the clearing at 265 yards. The yotes seldom showed up during daylight hours, instead come in at night to feed. I added thermal scopes and suppressors to a couple of my rifles, initially for hogs, but now for killing coyotes. The yotes sneak in to the hog pile, and dance around a little, then settle down to eat.

I can take my time, squeeze the trigger, and watch the yote crumble.

The lease owner, and the gentleman that runs the cow/calf operation think I can walk on water. LOL.

Dennis

It's interesting how that the changes in tone can change the meaning of what the coyotes are saying. A bark placed here instead of there makes all the difference in its meaning. A relaxed howl, a yodeling howl, a higher pitched howl with the same barks at the same placement means a totally different thing to them, we can learn what it means as we observe them doing what they are doing at the time they are talking to each other. Most often the more barking the more threat is being relayed to the others in the area, I'm alarmed something isn't right over where I am, someone is messing with me or mine, there is a danger in my home area, it doesn't have to be another canine it might be a lion, a bull or a cow with a calf. When you figure out what they are saying then that can be used to your advantage, different things they say at different times of the year sometimes they don't say much. They are pretty quiet in their area when they have young pups but will come to their boundary lines and do barks short warning howls pee take a dump and do kickbacks to let another coyote know not to come over here. So then for me I would take note of the boundary line location and go back in a day or two move into their area and challenge them on their own turf. With my area being so open it's pretty easy to see where they were laying up when they responded to me. Like them I see movements even out at long distances, I howl, a coyote jumps up and runs from the bottom of a cut bank to the top of it where the grass is green, it's not blending in very well with the green grass, then I can observe it start running my way, another one joins it from a short distance away out of another small draw, They stop and stair my direction then both run towards me, they get to their boundary line and stop milling around not saying anything, they then just sit down and watch as they have determined I am not a threat to them and their area, I try different sounds, they just sit and watch not coming any closer, I scratch my head saying to myself those coyote are educated, they might be now but they weren't this morning, they just didn't want to cross into others territories, and get beaten up or into a conflict just like you don't walk into your neighbor's home without being invited and not expect to be told you were making a big mistake by doing so. The simple solution is to give it some time then go to their home uninvited and enter their area and give them a call that they will want to challenge come to and ask you to leave. They live a complex life yet it's still a simple life they have a complex vocabulary yet it's not as complex as we make out to be. It's kind of like a lot of human vocals that are tic subtle.

I have enjoyed Many hours reading your advice, coyote control methods, and hunting adventures.
Outstanding stories, informative and well written!
-
I started deer hunting on a Texas lease with friends. The land here is nearly all native grass, and supports cow/calf operations.
To successfully deer hunt, requires running corn feeders. The feeders work well for deer, and also brings in feral hogs...
The hogs are a problem as they run the deer off from the corn. So we kill and drag off the hogs in order to see deer within range of our blinds.
Now the dead hogs are consumed by buzzards, and Coyotes!
I started dragging my hog kills to an opening in the mesquite trees I could clearly see from my stand on a ridge. Soon, I had 14 hogs in the clearing at 265 yards. The yotes seldom showed up during daylight hours, instead come in at night to feed. I added thermal scopes and suppressors to a couple of my rifles, initially for hogs, but now for killing coyotes. The yotes sneak in to the hog pile, and dance around a little, then settle down to eat.

I can take my time, squeeze the trigger, and watch the yote crumble.

The lease owner, and the gentleman that runs the cow/calf operation think I can walk on water. LOL.

Dennis
👍🏼❤️🇺🇲

Yessir, I agree on the hogs. Our lease had a very respectable population of turkey, now with hogs destroying their nests and coyotes killing birds when they fly down from the roost trees, turkey population has declined.
A few years ago, I would watch turkey in our wheat field, with numbers exceeding a hundred or so. Last deer season, I would see only a group of Seven. We are allowed to take one turkey in spring, and one in the fall by our lease agreement.
I chose Not to take any due to predation on the birds.

I made another run to the lease late last week to do some additional predator control work. I was not able to hit my kill count from last trip - 10 calf, fawn and turkey killers.
Settled for six yotes, and two hogs to add to the bait pile:

-

-

-

Dennis

Yessir, I agree on the hogs. Our lease had a very respectable population of turkey, now with hogs destroying their nests and coyotes killing birds when they fly down from the roost trees, turkey population has declined.
A few years ago, I would watch turkey in our wheat field, with numbers exceeding a hundred or so. Last deer season, I would see only a group of Seven. We are allowed to take one turkey in spring, and one in the fall by our lease agreement.
I chose Not to take any due to predation on the birds.

I made another run to the lease late last week to do some additional predator control work. I was not able to hit my kill count from last trip - 10 calf, fawn and turkey killers.
Settled for six yotes, and two hogs to add to the bait pile:

-

-

-

Dennis
👍🏼❤️🇺🇲

No, I hadn't read it till just now but I am not surprised coyotes like feral dogs lose their fear of humans when they are constantly exposed to us. Look at how many people are attacked by deer every year in the United States because people think they need to feed them and start to treat them like they would a pet. Or look at the way people try to interact with the animals in Yellowstone Park and get into trouble gored by bison mauled by bears trampled by moose ect. . As we have seen through DNA testing the coyotes have cross bred with other canines, grey wolves and red wolves being the most prevalent then taking on some of their trait's packing being one of them. But then you also have those that feel they need to feed the poor little things in their back yards, parks and towns or cities causing them to lose their fear of people also. I have seen it happen here in Wyoming down in GURNESY. The railroad crews thought it was great fun to feed a coyote till it took one of them on and ended up having to be put down by the USDA Wildlife Services guys because of it, then sent in for rabies testing. I watched a foolish guy throwing rocks at a bull bison in the park one day trying to get it to stand up so he could take a close-up picture of it standing I told my wife and kids to get in the truck and hurry it up doing so. The news the next day had an article about a guy being gored by a bison at that site in the park. You can even tell them they shouldn't do that, and they will tell you to mind your own business. The movie Forrest Gump comes to mind often when I see people doing things like that, well no I don't give those poor little dogs any dog food for the cold weather, nor do I feed the little birds. I am like that a bully letting them fend for themselves.