Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

The red wolves are east of the Mississippi River also they have been introduced in the Carolinas and a few other states. When you go farther north you start seeing where the grey wolves and coyotes have crossed as you get to the southern states they have mixed with the Mexican red wolves. Illinois did a lot of DNA testing of trapped coyotes and found that about 3 percent had some domestic dog genes most of them had some wolf genes. Around the Chicago area they had grey wolf and in the southern part they had red wolf genes. I just went to Eastmans attacked by a coyote and it opened for me.

The red wolves are east of the Mississippi River also they have been introduced in the Carolinas and a few other states. When you go farther north you start seeing where the grey wolves and coyotes have crossed as you get to the southern states they have mixed with the Mexican red wolves. Illinois did a lot of DNA testing of trapped coyotes and found that about 3 percent had some domestic dog genes most of them had some wolf genes. Around the Chicago area they had grey wolf and in the southern part they had red wolf genes. I just went to Eastmans attacked by a coyote and it opened for me.
I posted the whole website instead of just article . Worked that way.

It's interesting that with so many people being raised in towns and cities they really don't think about animals being wild in so many cases. I was lucky enough to be raised on farms and ranches and exposed to the way life is with the animals in their natural setting. It's good that there are those of us that get to see that side of life.

It's interesting that with so many people being raised in towns and cities they really don't think about animals being wild in so many cases. I was lucky enough to be raised on farms and ranches and exposed to the way life is with the animals in their natural setting. It's good that there are those of us that get to see that side of life.
Very true and I'm sure most of us have seen "wild" pets and livestock too. You can just watch or even just a quick glance and know whether to steer clear or it's all gokd to be close to some of them.

There isn't much better than getting out away from light and noise pollution you get to see so many stars at night and hear so much during the day and night. We have a lot of sunny days with bright blue skies here and clear nights it's all part of the enjoyment of hunting predators.

Dave, I'm trying to figure out the best calls I need to practice and learn with. You mentioned the medium crit-r call. Can elk and turkey diaphram calls work for coyote sounds? I'm somewhat proficient with those. I've got an old cowhorn Herb's Howler that I never learned to use. I've been practicing but it seems really difficult to use. I know you've gone over all this before, but any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Gregg

Windypants; diaphragm calls for elk and turkey calling work great. They just normally take more practice than a beginner needs to not get frustrated with them than some of the open reed calls. I used them for years as you can keep them in your mouth while shooting or just setting and do okay without using your hands as a sound chamber for barks and howls although that does enhance the sounds to use your hands and makes it more directional. They also tend to need replaced more often. With calls it's the same as with your favorite rifle you get comfortable with them and then it just feels right and easy for the individual so then that's what you should use. If you can make a turkey chirp you can make a bark, if you can make a bull elk bugle you can make a howl. The herbs howler isn't a bad howler it just takes some getting used to the horn, so I use most of those type of howlers without the horn. Even the red desert, and hotdog howlers I take the horns (sound chambers off of them) and use my hands for that as it tends to make them easier to use especially for people trying to first learn how to. I got to using open reed calls due to the abuses they were put through in my truck hot dry days of summer or cold dry days of winter plus I could drill a hole in them near the open end and put the loop of a lanyard through it and carry them keeping them handy. I could stager them on the lanyard and keep them from rattling on each other as well. I make my own lanyards and calls now for my way of calling so in the end it's a matter of getting used to and using what is handy for each of us. The lanyards are from spare parts left over from building snares and a boot lace, I machine my calls from walnut or in a pinch make them from 1/2" pvc pipe and a plastic notebook cover like Bill Austin did his. But then I had a tight budget so that I could afford to work at a reasonable rate for the producers. 50.00 per adult and 15.00 per pup sometimes if it was a really bad killer, they would give me a bonus. plus, they gave me beef. You can't beat grass fed beef with no growth hormones not wading around in crap and mud up to their bellies for a few months to finish them before butchering.

I buy a pair of 36 - 48-inch boot laces then use a 3/32" double feral for making snares, leaving the ends long thread them through another feral so now I have two loops but if I want more loops, I can do more by repeating the process adding more loops than you adjust them, so the calls don't rattle against each other. I put a knot in the end or just burn it so that it doesn't come out of feral. Some people call them double sleaves you can get them where they sell cable for overhead garage doors as well as snare supplies.

I was just out in the shop practicing with the howlers and starting to make more coyote sounds than dying goose sounds, so showing some promise. I like the tone of that cow horn. I was trying my elk diaphrams and I can make the sounds but the tone seems way off. I'll keep playing with that.

I went to get the mail yesterday and it turned into a 2 hour coyote hunt, which resulted in a miss. I didn't have my hunting coat with calls and no way to get the coyote to stand for ranging and the shot. I could have had the diaphrams in my shirt pocket. Live and learn!

The sounds that you hear where you are making them aren't the same as they sound out at a distance it's like when you hear yourself talking then listen to a recording of yourself talking. The sound chamber does change the sound and makes it a more mellow sound, the use of your hands has a different tone, just as the wearing of gloves tends to deaden the tone if you are using your hands, wooden sound horns make different tones depending on their length as well as the type of wood and their shape does. Plastic makes a different sound than a cow horn does. The plastic hose for your elk bugle, that has ribs in it sounds different than one without them. It is designed for you to be able to project your sounds in different directions and change the tone to raise or lower pitches saying I'm an older bull or a younger bull. I want the herd bull to think I am farther out then I really am, so he comes closer for my shot with a bow ect. Yes, it's all in the playing with and figuring out what I need to with each type of call, how much air flow, hard puffs, long drawn-out air flow, how do I place my hands, with or without the sound chamber. The same as with the sounds that your coyotes make in your area, I can only give you the basics and it's up to you to get it to work for you and your coyotes. That is part of the enjoyment of the pursuit of coyotes learning what does and doesn't work for me, taking what works for him in his area and adapting it to work for me in my area. No matter what I can only give you what works for me the best that I can explain it and then you will take that information and adjust it for what works for you as it should be done for us all. For me in your situation yesterday I would have done a couple of my voice barks to see how the coyote reacted to them because that's what works for me to get them to stop and stand for a shot when I'm calling, just a woof at them in my own voice, it's what I learned by doing it over time and visiting with others that had more time doing it than I and then the adrenalin rush of it working making an imprint in my mind for future references. One more tool in my box learned out of necessity that others may be able to put to use as well.

Recent Posts