Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

Scott, the rancher and I set up just west of west butte. Called for 30 minutes with less than 5 mph wind. How, often do you get that kind of wind? At the 30 minute mark I heard the rancher shoot. 240 Weatherby. 509 yards. I didn't see them, but he saw them sitting on a hill watching us. They wouldn't come any closer so he ranged them and took the shot. Have never shot a coyote that far.

Its funny in the sweetgrass hills, now and then there is hardly any wind......with this front coming, should be good today, I am just heading out...they must have seen or heard something they didnt like to sit there
Straight shooter, I have hunted mostly east butte and gold butte, and it was in December for coyotes, the 1st time we were in sage creek and we challenge howled, a male and female came screaming in, they were very territorial that day.......

Last edited:
December , near breeding season I can believe they were already territorial it's hard to have more fun then that . Straight Shooter what sound were you using and what was the volume ? Were they this years pups and just overly cautious ? So many things that play into that at any time of the year . We ask ourselves why do we do that to ourselves the challenge of trying to figure out what we need to do better is it for me . I'm setting up a Ruger 22-250 that I got two days ago in a trade . I've bedded the action in the stock , put a bed at the front of the barrel , cleaned it well , mounted the scope rings , lapped them . They were so bad that they didn't have much contact on the back one maybe 20 percent the front one had maybe 60 percent so I just bedded them instead of lapping them all the way in . A guy gave me a scope that wouldn't hold zero so I sent it in to the manufacture they sent me a new one so I will mount that one on it and use a string line to level it to the leveled action so it can be able to reach out a ways if I do my part after I do some load development .

I always thought that the years pups are still a little cautious of howls this time of the year . But that's just me and what I have found here . I know that when I was young I didn't run to get into a fight I had to get a little older for that one . LOL It's all interesting and still a learning experience I hope not one of us stopes learning and sharing .

I would tend to agree with you on that . I don't mind higher pitched howls this time of year like a female or the young of the year and as I have stated before I don't want to be aggressive now just like them to think that I'm curious as to who's out there and if they want to come visit . I will get aggressive during breeding and denning seasons when they will come looking for a fight to kick who ever is in their area out . It's all good and we have fun , no matter what we will learn something . I got that 22-250 ready to sight in tomorrow and will get some brass sized to the chamber in the process . I'm going to try some 50 grain bullets in it for now .

3 coyotes yesterday and one fox.........saw something I have not seen to the sheer numbers...driving down a not so traveled road, off to the left was the tail end of a reservoir and there was a dead cow, mostly gone, 180 yards off the road....10 coyotes on and around that cow :oops: :oops: I have seen 4-6 before but never that many. Kept driving as I did not want to shoot runners....went into the vacant yard and walked back 3/4 of a mile in the road ditch, rollie country, sniped one at 401 yards, missed two at 300......:(.........I now have my harris bipod BACK on my .204 the 6-13" one as I could have easily killed 3 to 4 if I would have been steadier (prone), sticks sitting up just didnt cut it. Waited a bit and went a mile east called in one male, shot him circling behind me at 80 yards..made a couple more calls no luck...drove back by that cow, yearling female ran off it, I stopped and barked at her, she turned broadside at 300 yards, dead flop into the body....all three coyotes ( 2 males, 1 female), no exit hole, all dead right now. On the way home, older female fox laying on her mound 120 yards off the road, cross hairs under her chin, impact blew her over (probably 8 # fox or so) and it went in her chest straight on, no exit, wow was I surprised. Storm is just starting to break, going to hit that cow at daylight, as I only killed 3 of the 10, maybe 4 or 5 tomorrow, GOD willing. I just love calling, sneaking on or sniping coyotes.......I bought the bell & Carlson stock, love it, feels like you are pointing the gun and tucked into it better as it is vertical gripe and a higher comb....impact on paper is the same as other stock. Been a good week, 10 coyotes total.......if I did like the old days and had my harris bi-pod on, it would have been 5-7 more...........sometimes you cant fix stupid, as I knew better and a coyote is a small target, you have to be rock steady. suppose to be sub-zero in the morning.........just perfect coyote weather other than deer season opened today......more traffic.

I love hunting coyotes, but coyote karma got my on Oct 4; I bought a new carbon fiber racing bicycle to replace my old one and took it out for a spin. Was doing about 30 mph or so when two coyotes ran right out in front of me (I as riding in South Mountain Park in PHX on a road closed to vehicles). Last thing I remember is the sensation of hitting one; the next was the ambulance ride to the ER. Broke seven ribs, shattered my clavicle, and broke my scapula. Had surgery the next day (plate was installed over my clavicle). Was supposed to leave three days later for my CO place to hunt elk on Oct 10; that was cancelled and this past week cancelled my annual MN deer hunt. Coyotes better watch it - right now I cannot lift my left arm, but when I can it coyote karma payback time.
bike crash shoulder.jpeg
bike crash surgery.jpeg
Xray with Clavicle HW.jpeg

Scott, where were you today. I left the ranch west of west Butte today at 8:30. The wind was howling. Am now in eastern Montana. Right before I left my rancher got a call from a neighbor to the west of him. Two bull elk had gotten in a fight and tore up about 50 yards of fence line. He went up and fixed and sent pictures. They were dead and all wired up together. The bears and coyotes had been having a feast.