Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

Down here it seems like the older coyote pup sounds work better at this time of the year . I have found that no matter what sounds you use if they get used too much they quit working as well as they do when they are first introduced to the area . Kind of like the siren some ranchers us them to call the cows in to feed them and the coal mines us them before they blast and where that is done the coyote quit howling at them so then you can't locate them with one . I don't know for sure what others are using in the area but know that here a lot of the fox pro sounds don't work very well here now it seems like about every one has one now . I sold mine and went back to hand held calls as nobody sounds quite like me and I often make sounds that others wouldn't think of using , deer and antelope sounds that unless you have listened to them most people haven't heard them . Like the sound that antelope make that sounds like there is rooster or chicken out there .

When I get a pair that wont come in, like the other day, as soon as they drift off, I like to move in quietly and try to snipe them off. Always think they have heard some of my sounds and they "may" be educated, so it is beneficial to me to get them out of the population. there are more ways to kill a coyote than calling...................I get a heck of a thrill sneaking on coyotes, every time you come to a rise, you "barely" peek over and use your binos constantly, you have to spot them before they see you......use the terrain to your advantage and ALWAYS pay attention to wind and wind thru the terrain, it flows like invisible water. I have been successful at doing this more often than not, you just have to know when to be aggressive in moves and when to be patient and let it happen..............and it helps to have a good dose of luck.

Last edited:
normally around here the coyotes take a few days to move into a carcass and when they do they tunnel in from the back end thru the pelvis. Must be the last place to freeze solid and they want to get to the organs. I have watched coyotes feed on a carcass and it really shows the pecking order.....the younger ones have to sit and wait till the dominant ones get done, there is a lot of *** biting and fighting that goes on.

Last edited:
It is the challenge of the stalk takes me back to my youth ! The back end is where they attack large prey from . Sheep , lambs , deer and antelope they do the neck if they can . Mule deer are often taken from the back end as well . In the spring time when they have real young pups a lot of the time they just tear into the lambs stomach area to eat the stomach full of milk , liver and lungs then leave the rest . I have found antelope in the spring that all they did was pull the fawns out of the mother then eat the lungs and liver . It's soft tissues and can be regurgitated for the pups that can be easily digested by them .

Well the weather isn't very nice today here 28 snowing and 15 to 25 mph wind . I suspect it's not any better up north in the Montana country maybe even a little worse . It may be a little better east of the Mississippi River .

Well the weather isn't very nice today here 28 snowing and 15 to 25 mph wind . I suspect it's not any better up north in the Montana country maybe even a little worse . It may be a little better east of the Mississippi River .
85 and windy here today but that's supposed to come to an abrubt end tomorrow

As long as he's safe and warm today this stuff kills . Even some that are prepared for it and get stuck or break down .