Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

There are several control guys out there that are better at it then I was they just are silent for the most part so as not to draw unwanted attention to themselves. I knew one guy when I was working with the predator board and USDA that had a face book site where he posted somethings that he shouldn't have and ended up in a jamb, PETA and a few others came down on him hard, so they don't talk much. I'm retired so I figure that I might be okay to. It is a way of life hard work at times, frustrating at times but also rewarding.

A lot of us didn't fare well when we tried to re-enter the world some came home in body but not mind. We all have our own ways of self-medicating I stopped drinking and other things when I decided that I wanted to be in the real world more. I slowed down on my smoking from chain smoking and got a little help with anxiety and being hyper I still didn't sleep a lot for years only 2-4 hours a day, I worked 16 hours a day for one year ten months and 27 days over there, when Uncle Dick told the world I wasn't there but have learned how to and how to relax and not be a work-acholic. I finally stopped smoking two packs a day, on March 3rd 2003 at 2:00 P.M. I smoked my last cigarette. I didn't act to badly for the most part one of my bosses grabbed my arm and kept me from smashing a guy's head with a 24" pipe wrench once because he made a bad remark about my wife. Another time a guy tried for a couple of hours to get me to fight him and three of his friends kept egging him on he slapped my wife finally it took all three of his friends to pull me off of him. They said you were going to kill him not fight I told them there is no such thing as a fight only one person wins and that is the guy that is still breathing at the end. I haven't been in a conflict since maybe a couple of disagreements, but I will turn and walk away mostly. I told myself that I didn't want to cause harm to another person after 4/25/1975 but there are times you have to stand your ground. Okay I'm off the soap box back to the hunting and better things in life please forgive me for getting off track! And thank you for your understanding.

Last edited:
I , like most on here enjoy hunting coyote , according to my wife too much . When I first started hunting and trapping coyote the first year I had an old dog coyote with out toes on his right front foot . I tried all winter to get him without success . In the spring the county trapper ask me if I wanted to den hunt with him as he had a call , from the neighbor of the ranch I had been trapping on , to get some coyote that were killing lambs . We went out in the morning and started tracking them , sure enough one of them had a square right front foot . We tracked them most of the day finding them in yet another ranchers pasture to the west of where they were killing . They were making a six mile round trip to kill lambs and feed their pups . Merlyn laid down facing the main draw and had me lay down facing a smaller side draw facing east . When Merlyn let out a few puppy squeals , using a med critter call the old dog ran out of the draw in front of me stopping about 20 feet in front of me , I swear you could see anger in his big yellow eyes . I was at that time shooting a new chambering the 17 Remington with the only ammo offerings a 25 gr hp running 4200 fpmv . I got excited and pushed the trigger thus hitting him in the left shoulder as he was spinning I got one in his rib cage and he dropped . I found that I had my square footed challenge and a new addiction We took 8 pups from that den the killing stopped and I learned a lot .
The ".17 Remington with the only ammo offerings a 25 gr hp running 4200 fpmv" Was a fantastic 0- 300 to 350 yards cartridge for Yotes... I had a Remington M700 Classic I used it for years, the factory Remington 25gr HP was hard to be both in accuracy and punch on Yotes, loved that combo, a great fur combo. I always used just a Leupold 6x42mm M8 w/duplex... again great combo with the rifle. Sure miss those days. Cheers

Neal no need to apologize. You sir are doing well to mention a friend and neighbor that passed, it is apparent that he self-medicated and it finally took its toll on him. I am glad that you showed him honor and respect by mentioning his passing and his service. Thank You for that.

436; The only real problems that I had with it was wind drift here, a couple of bullets that exploded before they reached their target and cleaning it, I couldn't find a cleaning rod around my area, so I ended up making one from a brass welding rod. Mine had a steel tube Weaver scope on it. I did find a source of bullets so that I could load for it that were Remington 25 grain bullets and ran them a little slower. It was a fun rifle for sure.

Neal: everyone should feel free to ramble here on this site that's what the title says to do. We are supposed to just visit and tell of our hunting anything and other things we have on our minds. If we have lost a friend, we are free to say so, if we are thinking of an elk hunt, a mountain lion hunt, or going fishing, if you want to talk about anything but a couple of things that's fine. I don't want it to be about political views or trying to get someone to be trying to push religious views on others. If we are trying to get someone to tell us how we sharper our saw blades, knives or how I grind a knife blade and do the heat treatments of my knives fine also. We are here to visit and enjoy our time here may you all feel free to share your hunts and things of interest so that we can learn from each other. I share my loss's also here because it helps to do so with others that I know aren't going to jab me about it. If we have had a surgery or other events in life, we are free to share that as well.

I found the comments on "off season" calling interesting. I've killed coyotes at all times of the year with coyote pup distress sounds. Did I just get lucky and it's generally a bad idea? Or can it still trigger a programmed/instinctual response (especially in females in my experience) regardless the time of year?

Thanks.

Dave, I don't think in the old days the 17 remington bullets were up to snuff. I think the jackets were too thin. I had a hunting partner that had one of the original 700 BDLs. He shot a coyote at 50 yards and it just rolled like it had been shot with birdshot. We noticed when sighting it in that once in a while we would see a gray puff halfway to the target. We would go look at the target and it would like it was shot with birdshot. I don't think the jackets at the time could handle the twist rate.

436; The only real problems that I had with it was wind drift here, a couple of bullets that exploded before they reached their target and cleaning it, I couldn't find a cleaning rod around my area, so I ended up making one from a brass welding rod. Mine had a steel tube Weaver scope on it. I did find a source of bullets so that I could load for it that were Remington 25 grain bullets and ran them a little slower. It was a fun rifle for sure.
Never had a wind or explosion problem with mine... I did find a big batch of Remington 25gr HP before they stopped selling them in the marketplace to hand loaders, a bullet I really liked, then I think found their powder and charge, in the end I was able to shoot into the same groups as the Remington factory .17 ammo with the same vel's.
I pretty much found that with a good size Yote... 300 to 350 yards was the limit, a yard farther and you just didn't know for sure. The 17 Rem was a killer if you stayed within its envelope. Cheers

Neal: everyone should feel free to ramble here on this site that's what the title says to do. We are supposed to just visit and tell of our hunting anything and other things we have on our minds. If we have lost a friend, we are free to say so, if we are thinking of an elk hunt, a mountain lion hunt, or going fishing, if you want to talk about anything but a couple of things that's fine. I don't want it to be about political views or trying to get someone to be trying to push religious views on others. If we are trying to get someone to tell us how we sharper our saw blades, knives or how I grind a knife blade and do the heat treatments of my knives fine also. We are here to visit and enjoy our time here may you all feel free to share your hunts and things of interest so that we can learn from each other. I share my loss's also here because it helps to do so with others that I know aren't going to jab me about it. If we have had a surgery or other events in life, we are free to share that as well.
Well said
It I could only see one thread it would be this one!
Thanks

Buck