Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

When we go out to call or hunt coyote it pays for me to look at and observe what the other animals are doing at the time . Over the years I have noticed that when the livestock , deer and other animals are laid up so will the predators be laid up and less interested in coming to the call . That tells me several things . I will have to be more specific about my calling stands being closer to where they will be laid up . I will need to be more selective about the sounds and their volume , that I will use , starting with a lower volume . I will most likely need to spend more time per stand then I normally would . I will need to be looking more for a standing animal or one that is just laying and watching me , this part is more like in the spring of the year when they are more likely to be watching their den and you if you are using coyote vocalizations . here again is where it pays to be flexible in what we do and not get stuck in a rut doing the same things all of the time . Be observant of our surroundings not just look at them . I still believe in setting down and writing a journal , log or after action report what ever it is that you want to call it as it helps me to recall what I was observing that day and then to be better able to put it to use down the road in similar situations .

That's probably what has made you top level. I've got a couple friends that are both in they're 60's that have taken elk hunting to another level. I tease them that they should have to use a spear to make it fair. I was thinking about what you said about breading the different traits in cattle and it reminded me I'm going to help the neighbors again this year haul they're next crop to the auction. They're in their 90's and I find the science fascinating how extremely pinpointed it has become. About 25 years ago I knew an older couple that were both genetic scientists and owned a dairy. Leprechaun dairy in centralia ( or chehalis?) to that sold a Holstein bull for 5 million dollars. Never realized how big those Holstein bulls were until I saw one in a pasture with a beef bull. The one they sold was too big to breed naturally.

We have an attached 140 acres on our backside with those Scottish highlanders. Fairly new neighbor, not the older couple I've known all my life, anyways, not sure if it's the two big dogs or those cows but we never hear or have signs of coyotes from that side. 3200 acres on the other side of them is busted up into 20's so really weird. Always hear and see them across the highway on our front side. 60 acres with horses. He doesn't de horn them. Never see the dogs so I'm guessing those things aren't friendly to coyotes

That's interesting. The few Highlanders I've been around were pretty docile around people. But also know that many of natures smaller packages can be plenty fiesty when the need arises too. Always thought those were a pretty cool little breed lol.

What type of dogs are they Neal ? I have seen several breeds of cattle that didn't take kindly to coyote but were gentle around people . I've noticed that most cattle that have horns know what they are for as with rams and goats . When the coyote talk and then get harassed by dogs or other guard animals they learn fast to not talk and to avoid that area . We have areas that the coyote and fox avoid here due to guard animals but I have also seen coyote learn to work them and take lambs any way .

Last edited:
I know one is a St. Bernard. Not a show dog, definitely a farm dog so I'm sure his presence is known. The other one I think is just a bigger mutt( scruffy) Never see them really. Cows have basically the whole 140 to roam. Thinking they just come in for feed. Has a 40 acre lake with peat bog around it and I think he added 60-80 acres from the big Weyerhaeuser sale that got busted into 20's

I have seen St. Bernards be very aggressive toward coyote and red fox and other dogs . It's an interesting situation . I have seen coyote that just stopped talking because of being harassed every time they did .

We have 2 sheep ( lawn mowers) have had a couple chickens ( donated) inside a hog wire fence on a couple acres and knock on wood, haven't had any problems. The sheep gotta be about 10 years old now ( never knew sheep lived so long) No dogs now but the last one we had was a huge wolf hybrid (165#) female my sister dropped off. I wasn't too happy about it but ended up really bonding with her. She might have left a lasting impression on some coyotes but it's been about 5 years since she passed

We have Samson a Bernese Mountain Dog. He weighs in at 145#. The breed is for protection and pulling carts of milk cheese and stores. In Samson's younger years I saw him corner coyotes and dispatch them in one bite and shake through the air. Unfortunately Bernese only live between 6 and 8 years. Samson is a little over 9 now and the past few weeks I have to hoist him up off the floor to get him to go outside to relieve himself. His days are numbered. We also got a Great Pyrenees puppy. she is about 15 weeks old and 50#s. She is taking over for Samson and already guarding the goats. She is an inside dog that has the outside mentality so a little hard to handle but coyotes beware!

I have worked around a lot of Great Pyrenees and have only seen one that wasn't friendly to people . A lot of them that are put with herds of sheep don't always stay with that herd instead going to where there are coyote to have their way with . Around 30 years ago I was set up on a high ridge watching the sheep below me . I was hunting a coyote that kept evading the chopper . I noticed a Pyrenees down in a draw working some tracks when he got fairly close a red fox jumped up from a cut bank and ran but not far before the dog caught it and ended it's career . Sadly most of the bigger breeds have shorter lives and if others are like me a great bond is formed with them .

We only get one or two really great dogs in our lives as a general rule . So we will enjoy them and always remember them and the times we had with them . May Samson have fair winds and following seas for the rest of his days with you then an untroubled passing when it's time .

We only get one or two really great dogs in our lives as a general rule . So we will enjoy them and always remember them and the times we had with them . May Samson have fair winds and following seas for the rest of his days with you then an untroubled passing when it's time .
Thanks much.
Samson and I have been together for 9 years almost 24/7. Never had a bond so strong. It's hard watching him not being able to move. Hoping for a recovery. Just making him as comfortable as possible with hand feeding best treats and meditation.