Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

I have never been in a hunt with hounds running lions , or with dogs working coyotes , but I have been on coon hunts with my basketball coach from high school who was really into coon hunting with hounds , and I had several memorable experiences running through the dark , following his hounds .
If you would not consider it out of line with the topic of coyote hunting , I would be happy to share a couple of those hunts with you .

DMP25-06

I have never been in a hunt with hounds running lions , or with dogs working coyotes , but I have been on coon hunts with my basketball coach from high school who was really into coon hunting with hounds , and I had several memorable experiences running through the dark , following his hounds .
If you would not consider it out of line with the topic of coyote hunting , I would be happy to share a couple of those hunts with you .

DMP25-06

I've hunted big game and dangerous game all over the world. Some of my most memorable moments are about hunting coyotes with house dogs as attractors. On many occasions around Gillette, Wyoming I've had 2 or 3 end up right in my lap. The 'yotes are SO fixated on the lap yappers they completely ignore you. In the beginning of doing this I was completely amazed! It really is a thrill.

BigDon , There was and probably still is a guy named Calvin Taylor around Gillette that runs mountain currs for coyote . Perhaps we should just say hunting and leave out the coyote . All hunting stories are interesting . I don't mind getting off subject I do it myself and have learned from doing so .

It doesn't make any difference if you learn field craft hunting deer , coyote , cats or coons field craft from one type of hunting carries over to the others as well . A good hunting experience will equally relate to other types of hunting . When we learn to be observant while hunting so we can learn about our chosen prey animal we can apply that knowledge to all of the other hunting we do and learn about those animals as well . I have spent countless hours just studying coyote to learn their ways , that teaches patience so then you have that in your memory to apply that to other areas of life . Ask questions first then shoot the movies have it backwards as I see it .

On a nice morning in June of 1985 I was up on the mountain at a little over 8500 feet looking over a meadow when out over a thousand yards I spotted a coyote it was hunting ground squirrels but then I noticed something smaller moving close to it . I got my binoculars out and started watching . It was a badger . It would start to dig at a squirrel hole and when the squirrel would run out the back the coyote would catch it . I watched as the coyote caught and ate 3 or 4 squirrels . It then did something strange it caught one killed it then went over and dropped it by the badger . An old timer had told me about seeing that before but I thought he was just feeding me a line until I saw it for myself . I love it here in June when the grass is green the coyote stand out and can be seen very well.

On a nice morning in June of 1985 I was up on the mountain at a little over 8500 feet looking over a meadow when out over a thousand yards I spotted a coyote it was hunting ground squirrels but then I noticed something smaller moving close to it . I got my binoculars out and started watching . It was a badger . It would start to dig at a squirrel hole and when the squirrel would run out the back the coyote would catch it . I watched as the coyote caught and ate 3 or 4 squirrels . It then did something strange it caught one killed it then went over and dropped it by the badger . An old timer had told me about seeing that before but I thought he was just feeding me a line until I saw it for myself . I love it here in June when the grass is green the coyote stand out and can be seen very well.

WOW! I would have never thought that would happen. It's really amazing. I wish there were someway to further investigate that. It makes you wonder, did they communicate about it in someway. Is it simply "instinctual" behavior?
DSheetz, thanks for sharing this. My mind is absolutely blown.
Johnny

I was shocked by it even though I had been told of it happening . I wish it could have been videoed . In that time I didn't even have a cell or bag phone .

It was the first weekend in February 1967 when I went on my first coon hunt with hounds .
Our high school basketball season had just ended , and our new basketball coach asked if any of us were hunters , and 3 of us ( players and athletes from other sports ) immediately answered yes . Well , Coach Harry L. asked if we would like to go on a coon hunt with him , a friend of his , and their dogs . Of course we replied yes , and Harry said that we would be "sacking" coons , to which we had no idea that he was talking about catching them alive . He said to be sure to bring a gun , just in case he and his friend might call-in a varmint . So we departed the school parking lot on Friday evening after baseball practice , Coach and his friend Lonnie in Harry's pickup with his dog kennels , and the 3 of us ( all 16 years old ) in my Dad's pickup following behind . We had driven 60 miles , finally leaving the highway onto a dirt road when Harry stopped his truck , turned of his lights and engine , and jumped out telling me to shut-off the engine and lights , and get our .22's out , and be quiet . He pulled a predator call out of his pocket , and gave a few squeals , and then flipped on the headlamp on his hard-hat , turned his head until he illuminated a Kit Fox coming to the call . I waited until he gave me a signal , and then I shot the fox , my 1st and ONLY Fox that I have ever bagged .
What a way to begin a hunt ! From there , the night of hunting only got better .
We got back into the vehicles and drove less than 1/2 mile and then turned through a gate into the property that we were going to hunt coons .
Coach Harry and Lonnie told us to leave the rifles in the truck and get our flashlights , as they donned their hard-hat helmets with headlamps , pulled out 6 dogs and put them on leashes , handed out 6 empty burlap feed sacks to the three of us , and then said that if I had a .22 pistol , to be sure and bring it also , and then he said " Try to keep up with us " .
They unleashed the dogs , and all 6 dogs moved out in different directions , noses to the ground , trying to pick up scent . In less than a minute , Harry's best dog , Tough , began running and baying , with 5 other dogs , Harry and Lonnie , and 3 boys in hot pursuit . It did not take long before the 3 of us learned why they wore helmets , when we ran under unseen low-hanging tree limbs , nearly knocking our heads off . In just a few minutes the dogs had treed the first coon of the night . We were mesmerized , watching the dogs standing with front paws on the tree , wildly barking and baying at the coon , and I asked the coach if he wanted me to shoot the coon out of the tree-top . His reply was that we were going to catch the raccoons alive , and that was the reason that we were carrying the bags .
Coach Harry then began making a squalling noise with his mouth that sounded like coons fighting , and that raccoon in the tree began squalling back , then ran to the end of the limb and jumped-off . When the coon hit the ground , Harry was on him faster than the dogs , and grabbed it by the tail and began swinging it around like a windmill . Lonnie grabbed a bag from us and held it open and Harry threw the coon into the bag , which Lonnie then twisted and tied the open end closed . We had our 1st coon of the night !!!
We 3 boys were ecstatic and dumbfounded at the same time , as we had never seen or participated in anything like this , but we were hooked !
By the end of the night , we had caught and sacked 8 live raccoons . The coach had squalled all of them out of the treetops . I asked if the pistol was to be used if he could not "talk" them down , and he said no shooting raccoons , that the pistol was for other critters that might cross our path . Harry said that if he could not squall one out of the tree , then his friend Lonnie would climb the tree and toss the coon out . We did not get to experience the tree climbing and coon-tossing event that night , that occurred in other hunts that we accompanied them at later dates .
The .22 pistol did get called to duty about halfway through our night of coon hunting when a large skunk happened to cross our path during one of our dog following runs . Harry told me to shoot the skunk "In the head" to which I missed the head and hit the body , which did not kill the skunk . The skunk tumbled , got back on his feet and just before he raised his tail to spray , Harry ran over and kicked the skunk in the butt , sending it about 15 feet ahead of us with Harry in hot pursuit . Each time that the skunk would get back on it's feet , Harry would boot it in the butt again before it could raise the tail to spray . On the 5th kick to the skunk's butt , this time Harry kicked it too far , the tail came up , and the spraying began . Coach Harry dodged behind a tree and said "Alright boys , get some sticks and beat it to death . No shooting , we are too close to the dogs ."
We finished the night of hunting and drove home on Saturday morning , very much inundated with the smell of the great outdoors .
On Monday morning at school we were still sporting the "Essence of Skunk after-shave fragrance".

But boy , did we have a story to tell .

WOW! I would have never thought that would happen. It's really amazing. I wish there were someway to further investigate that. It makes you wonder, did they communicate about it in someway. Is it simply "instinctual" behavior?
DSheetz, thanks for sharing this. My mind is absolutely blown.
Johnny
Yeah WOW! What he said. That's incredible. Keep the great stories coming everyone.

Here is the story on the live raccoons . We asked the coach and Lonnie the same question .

All of the dogs were AKC registered except Harry's best dog Tough , a Black and Tan Hound, which had been one of his first dogs . Harry and Lonnie found that they could take live raccoons to Coon Hound Trials which were were held and judged such as Labrador Retriever Trials , and Bird Dog Pointer Trials .
For every 25 live raccoons that they brought and gave to the Coon Hound Trials , Coach Harry and Lonnie were given a Registered Coon Hound puppy of their choice , whether it be Black and Tan , Tennessee Walker , or other registered Coon Hound breeds . The live raccoons were then released and used in the Trials events , where contestants and their dogs would try to hunt and tree the coons , under the watchful eyes of the judges , and the dogs would accumulate points that let them go up a ladder of Merit Badges , with the highest being Grand National Night Champion , if I remember correctly .
Dogs that achieved that lofty title were put into stud service , and some made substantial money .
Harry's dog Tough had achieved that highest achievement , but since he was an un-registered dog , he never could be listed by the AKC as "Service at Stud" , and Harry did not have the requests for his dog's services .

The hunters themselves competed in Coon Sacking Competitions , and Harry and Lonnie were at that time the reigning Texas State Coon Sacking Champions .

I have never heard of sacking coons before. I also had never heard of Tennessee Walker being a Type of hound. I always heard of Tennessee Walker being a type of horse. I love this forum. No telling what you're going to learn.
Thanks for the information; and the great story.
Johnny