Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

I know I've said this before but you're one of the coolests people I've never met lol. Your kids and grandkids don't know how lucky they are to have someone with such a vast knowledge and experiences to learn from and teach them. I'd been the annoying one with too many questions and never wanting to leave lol. Being different is what makes the world go round. The world would be a better place with more people like you in it. Much like those few left from WW2, just not enough folks like you left and not enough people listening to those that are.

Thank You for your very kind words . I truly enjoy helping others when I can . I started life as an adult younger then most people my age so I had an advantage over some of the others my age , during the years when I was receptive to learning I think it's called the formative years , I was exposed to working with knowledgeable people who took the time to teach me what they could as I took an interest in learning . I was a journeyman mill wright and certified welder by the age of 23 but then by the age of 10 I knew what I wanted to do in life and kind of stuck to my plans . I had worked with many good experienced people before I graduated high school and went in to the service and there I worked with some very fine people in many different fields . I never lost my thirst for knowledge and even today study things to learn more .

About 35-40 years ago, up around forks Washington a buddy of mine was working in the rigging for a tower side logging and said they would fish the rivers nearby and said the game wardens showed up in 2's with guns drawn and pointed before any questions were asked. Different times

About 35-40 years ago, up around forks Washington a buddy of mine was working in the rigging for a tower side logging and said they would fish the rivers nearby and said the game wardens showed up in 2's with guns drawn and pointed before any questions were asked. Different times
Wow, thats a bit extreme! Did he look like DB Cooper lol.

Buckwheat was my last coyote dogs name , he lived to be 16 but knew to retire when it was time one very good dog . The rifle rack I had may have been the forerunner of the Big Sky racks . It was made out of 3/8ths plywood with a 1"x2" as a stiffener in the middle of it running length wise . It was padded and upholstered in what at the time was called charcoal gray . It had an aluminum bracket on the ends where it mounted to the trim above the door posts . It had padded posts to put your barrel and butt stock against so that the scope didn't press up against anything . then a 2" wide strap with Velcro, for each rifle that was attached to the 1x2 in the middle , to fasten the rifles in place . The front rifle barrel faced left , the back rifles barrel faced right so that the bolt handle was up . I have been looking and have been unable to find them now . As I said earlier it was sometime ago that I bought this one and I didn't let it go when I traded trucks . It was probably in the early 80's that I bought it out of Montana . It was stable and out of sight blending in with the overhead of the cab of the truck well and didn't show the rifle even from the bottom of it when seated in the cab just a lower place in the liner like a small shelf or storage rack .

Elli May and Buckwheat both came out of Tupelo Miss. They were Southern Black Mouth Curs both were smart dogs well mannered and would have given their lives for the protection of the family . They both came by hunting and decoying coyote naturally , I just started taking them with me when I got them as pups . Buckwheat got his name at the air port . I took him to the pet grassy area and let him out to go . When he got done I said ok Buckwheat lets get in the kennel he came to me so I figured that was his name . As they got bigger and older I would trap a coyote and lung shoot it with a 22 long rifle then let them out with it but I let them play with coyote tails and then hides as well . I would put a muzzle on them when we went to the Vets just in case they wanted to have fun with another dog but they didn't bother the others . A woman asked me is your dog mean you should have it put down if it is . I smiled at her and said no it's an ounce of prevention we hunt coyote together . Your an a44586 for teaching your dog to be a bad dog . Okay lady each to their own thoughts and ways .

When I got the handle Buckwheat, the dog that rode with me was named Spanky. It somehow stuck. That was over 35 years ago. Some still call me Buckwheat or Brother Buckwheat.
Spanky was a pig dog, American pit bull that learned from the dog I had at the time, a half-breed springer spaniel named Knight that would hunt anything. Quail, pheasant, skunk, fox, coyote, deer, pig, he was a natural born hunter and just seemed to know what we were after at the time.
My current dog's name is Oprah. She's a water dog but can hold her own at sniffing out what I may be looking for, or not looking for, as she found me a nice sized rattlesnake 2 days ago.
So many old dogs in our lives taking a spot in our hearts.

Yes indeed they sure do have a big place in our hearts ! And they have earned those spots ! I helped Buckwheat get in my truck for his rides the last few months . My wife told me you aren't taking him with you in your new truck he was in it before she finished saying it . It was his truck too he just didn't drive it . I would open the door and he would get his front feet up but couldn't make it the rest of the way in .

I enjoy having fun with people . We went out to lunch with my niece she's a germaphobe . So we ordered out drinks and lunch . The sodas came and after a little bit I ask her can I use your straw mine has a hole in it . Her eyes got big , her mouth opened a little bit and she started to say something then she laughed and said they all do one in each end of them . She may have me figured out .

In the mid 80's I was up on the mountain hunting coyote . I parked my truck in a willow patch , followed the creek down to where the mountain sloped down to it and the aspens started growing . I entered the aspen grove followed the edge till I came to the pines and walked in the shadows of the pine around to another willow and grass chocked draw . I was starting to get set up to call beside some rocks when up the draw out of the pines I saw some movement so I just sat and watched . There are all kinds of animals up here as well as stock . A coyote was coming out of the timber into the stunted willows and tall grass . It walked down where it was nearly straight in front of me about 75 yards , started turning circles trampling down the grass , then it laid down out of the breeze and in the sunshine . I nearly passed on shooting it because of what it had just shown me about life as a coyote but I was there to hunt coyote it never knew I was there and died in it's sleep in the nest it had made in the grass enjoying the sunshine and a nap .