Radical firearms any good?

Been looking at some radical firearm reviews, seem to be pretty good for a basic ar upper in 300 blackout, I got an aero precision upper on layaway but will pretty much be a deer gun and I could save a lot going with radical, any experience with them, guess they're made in Texas so I see a bunch of members from there and hoping you guys could shed some light on these.
I have 3 Aero precision but in the AR-10 systems. One has an 18" 308 upper, one has a 6.5 CM with a fluted 22" SS barrel, but my favorite has a complete upper from Medesha Firearms (480-986-5876) in a 16" 45 Raptor complete upper.
Out to 200 yards, it is precise and devastating. Buffalo Bore speaks highly of the cartridge, and of Medesha too
The only issue I've had is I only find metal magazines to feed reliably, and the Raptor magazine has to be internally modified. At least in my state, the AR-10 in 45 Raptor is legal to use even on public land.

I have 2 from Radical. First was a 7.62x39 about 5 years ago. Very happy with it, no issues. Very accurate with handloads. 2nd I got in a wylde a couple years ago is horrid. The rail on the receiver isn't even square. Does not cycle either. Hoping I can salvage the barrel. Haven't messed with it any further. Kinda disgusted to even look at it.

Ballistic Advantage is a sister company to Aero and I'm pretty sure Aero uses the BA barrels which to me are very good before getting into the higher end, more costly barrels. I would stick with the Aero upper, not to knock any others, I own several Aero, Yankee Hill, S&W, and one PSA that is still unshot.

Okay. Call this a stupid answer to a stupid question, but here goes:
He said " a deer gun" then wanted to know about quality and accuracy from bargain basement level ARs.
My perspective: for the same money, buy a savage scoped combo, or a Howa 1500 mini. You'll get a ton more quality and accuracy. And you'll be seen as a more ethical hunter, because you respect the life of the animal you've hunting.
Ok I will, that is stupid. I have those bolt guns you mentioned. In No way are they more accurate than my psa ar rifles. They shoot the same caliber. How is it more ethical to use a bolt. In fact less what if he doesn't take a good shot follow ups can save you.
Second if it doesn't shoot accurately then it's up to him to decide if it's acceptable for ethics. My 350 legend radical upper shoots Greta out to 300 that's more ethical than a ruger bolt I had that simply would not shoot.
As a hunting community let's stay away from ethics or as seen and help others understand it up to that hunter to decide and help guide in the right direction

Been looking at some radical firearm reviews, seem to be pretty good for a basic ar upper in 300 blackout, I got an aero precision upper on layaway but will pretty much be a deer gun and I could save a lot going with radical, any experience with them, guess they're made in Texas so I see a bunch of members from there and hoping you guys could shed some light on these.
I have 3 in 300blk, an 8.5" MPR upper and (2) of the 16" MPR's in 300blk. They're hard to beat for the money, I have 2 set up for pig hunting at night within 100yds and they are great. Smooth function and reliable cycle of operations. I only have a few hundred rounds through them so far, but zero complaints for a $700 rifle.

For a bit of context, I've built between 350 and 400 AR's of various calibers at this point. I don't use any fully built rifles, but have used some prebuilt uppers for builds. I've used Proof Research, Christensen, Criterion, Rainier, Faxon, BA/Aero, PSA, Radical, and all the way down to BCA (yeah, I know...) I've used a few lesser known brands that I was very happy with as well, but the sample size is too low for those to really count.

Statistically, I've had some really good and some pretty bad RF experiences. Overall, I've been pretty happy for the price, but I don't usually suggest them if someone asks about them for a new build. Why? Because I used to be more cavalier about my recommendations, but then I realized that I have a lot of hours of experience, as well as shelves of parts that I can swap in to test with. A lot of people only have one or maybe two AR's, so one of them not running well is very detrimental, and they don't have the experience and parts to get it running.

Specifically for RF, I've dealt with probably 30? FWIW, I haven't had any issues with 300BLK uppers from them. All of them cycled, and maintained acceptable accuracy for a 16" barrel. I have seen/helped with a 5.56 midlength upper that wouldn't run some decent commercial ammo (undersized gas port), a 7.62x39 that had atrocious accuracy (even by 7.62 standards), and a 6.5 Grendel that was extremely particular about ammo to get any accuracy out of it (TBF, 6.5G is kinda known for being picky). All that being said, I've seen some good shooters from RF, so it's definitely a mixed bag. I do think you could get their support to give you a replacement if you had one that wouldn't cycle commercial ammo, or if it was key-holing. Some people aren't willing to deal with support, or aren't willing to be without a rifle for a while - that's for you to decide.

Maybe I am just lucky with PSA, but I have never had one that didn't run, and they have always had acceptable accuracy. By that, I mean that some have been stupid accurate and some have just been capable of being "hunting accurate". For people wanting to save money, I typically suggest them because I've never had to work on getting one to run. During the craziness of 2020 their prices went up, but some of them are starting to work their way down, and you can find good deals occasionally.

I've had good luck with accuracy on BA/Aero barrels, but I currently have an 18" .223 Wylde Premium Black with a seemingly undersized gas port that won't cycle. It is a fluke from my experience, but the point is that even mid to upper tier manufacturers can have their issues.

Only you know what your budget, willingness to deal with issues, technical level, etc are. I do think that RF will give you a hunting capable rifle, but just know the caveat that you may be more likely to have to deal with their support than if you bought a PSA or Aero. For me, I am at the point where I am willing to pay extra for a BA or Faxon barrel, and a good quality BCG, because I am more particular about wanting even my plinking rifles to be accurate.

Keep in mind I've shot several hundred animals with ar's. His question was is it worth it or is it just little things. He's getting good info so he can make the choice best for him.

Keep in mind I've shot several hundred animals with ar's. His question was is it worth it or is it just little things. He's getting good info so he can make the choice best for him.

We have come full circle!! Lol

If you can get a aero stripped upper and lower it will be fine. Psa kits are fine too but the barrels they source are terrible. Psa barrels shoot and function fine but over work brass a lot. I just swap the barrels out to ballistic advantage barrels.

Attachments

• A89081C9-F079-4BC5-8799-26807CC44243.jpeg
    A89081C9-F079-4BC5-8799-26807CC44243.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 95
Another option is Brownell's depending on what barrel length you want. BRN-180 with 10.5" barrel, suppressed.

Attachments

• 20220202_120012.jpg
    20220202_120012.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
We have come full circle!! Lol

I no longer own that one. But crazy how time flys.

i have a couple of their gas blocks and had no issues. you get what you pay for. i'd put them on par with PSA in terms of quality. i dont know where their stuff is made, i'd assume here but i'd have to look. i've built AR's with all sorts of different parts from different companies and i'm done buying overseas junk. it's generally not that much more to buy the good stuff.

Recent Posts