Is this rifle any good?

kc

I was checking out my catalog(sportsman's guide) and found a AR 15 kit (minus the lower reciever) for $779.97 its a build kit, its made through CMG, for a .223 and can I change it to shoot other calibres?
Is it worth it to buy a kit? I have my hands full up to my nose in work I need to finish.
There is a customer opinion area and every one loved it and had no problems building this rifle and gave it 5 stars.

KC

You get what you pay for, and that is a good price for a pice of crap. If you want an AR with the ability to change calibers there is realy only one option. The LMT MRP or its big brother the MWS. Check out there web site to see all the options. Any barrel they dont offer you can have made.

I think thats alot of money for an upper of lower quality. Check out G&R tactical great prices. Look at the websites of Daniel Defence, Colt, Bravo Company USA, Larue tactical, Lewis machine and tool, Noveske they wont let you down.

I would agree with the icanhit on thats over priced, but you don't need a top end AR to be acurate and swap out uppers. There are better deals to be had Palmetto has some good deals. I have shot some of the lower end ones with out a problem. The worst two I have ever owned were colts, now these might have been a fluke, but I won't own another. It really depends what your going to do with it. As the AR platform its self isn't the greatest for reliability. If your looking for one to trust your life with go with a noveske, if you want one just to plink with and varmints look at a dpms or ATI. You can always upgrade parts later to fit your need.

I would agree with the icanhit on thats over priced, but you don't need a top end AR to be acurate and swap out uppers. There are better deals to be had Palmetto has some good deals. I have shot some of the lower end ones with out a problem. The worst two I have ever owned were colts, now these might have been a fluke, but I won't own another. It really depends what your going to do with it. As the AR platform its self isn't the greatest for reliability. If your looking for one to trust your life with go with a noveske, if you want one just to plink with and varmints look at a dpms or ATI. You can always upgrade parts later to fit your need.
I think you will also agree the price diffrence between the hoddy guns and mil spec ones is very low. The AR platform is 100% reliable if you know what it needs. Lube and lots of it slp2000, mil-tech, frog lube, mobil one, royle purple. No steel case ammo it kills extractors forget it. Google "filithy number 14"

Im very supprised you had issue with colt what was the problome?

Jon

COLT lives by its old reputation. They are not the only ones with a CC machine. I ordered a Colt Trooper 357, had to send it back to Colt because it didn't fire double action. My brother bought a Delta Elite - couldn't hit a person coming through a door at 10 yards- sent it Brownells. A guy was bragging of his Colt H Bar,said Colt has such a wonderful warranty work- it didn't work first out of the box and had to send it back. There are a lot of companies as good or better than COLT.

[QUOTE

Jon[/QUOTE]

Both were feed issuies. Tried different mags, ammo, cleaned and lubed multiple times. The second rifle would maybe rechamber twice then either jam or fail to chamber. At one point customer service told me that I need to put 500 rounds through it to break it in. Now this has been 6-8 years ago.
As far as reliability I'm not saying they will fall apart or need rebuilt every couple hundred rounds, but as with any gun with that many moving parts it needs a more maintaince. then a bolt gun

[QUOTE

Jon

Both were feed issuies. Tried different mags, ammo, cleaned and lubed multiple times. The second rifle would maybe rechamber twice then either jam or fail to chamber. At one point customer service told me that I need to put 500 rounds through it to break it in. Now this has been 6-8 years ago.
As far as reliability I'm not saying they will fall apart or need rebuilt every couple hundred rounds, but as with any gun with that many moving parts it needs a more maintaince. then a bolt gun[/QUOTE]
Well that sucks and is very very uncommon from colt. I would say getting a bad ar from them is about like getting a bad rock. I wish I could have trouble shot them for you bet I could have got them running. I have a colt HBAR and have never had any issue. The only issue with colt in my opnion is that dam sear block on the older ones and that oversized take down pin.

[QUOTE

Jon

As far as reliability I'm not saying they will fall apart or need rebuilt every couple hundred rounds, but as with any gun with that many moving parts it needs a more maintaince. then a bolt gun[/QUOTE]

Sportsmans Guide rarely has good deals. I flip through mine on the John. If I find something interesting, I Google it to find a better price (including shipping). As usual, that kit is overpriced.

I've been pleased with how my BCM mid-length carbine shoots. I also have two WOA uppers that shoot very well. The other options listed above can get pricey.

The only issue with colt in my opnion is that dam sear block on the older ones and that oversized take down pin.

Let's not forget that nasty shaved bolt carrier that Colt used to put in their ARs. The unshrouded carriers many companies had were horrible too, but that old style Colt carrier was just plain nasty. I'm glad to see they went to the M16 carrier on their civ ARs.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.