quick moounted yardage reference when hunting

wildcat westerner

Hello,
I went out today with my older 6.5x284 hunting rifle with a new scope. Our range is 800 yards and its obvious this 30mm scopes' reticle has enough hash marks to reach beyond this distance accurately. This rifle has always preferred the 130 grain Accubond to any other bullet, so I am losing longer range efficiency to the 140 grain 6.5mm bullets.
If I am going to take the time to establish "realtime" distances by shooting with a sophisticated reticle, I am finding already there will be a lot of distances covered to 800 and these will not be simple to remember quickly. Therefore, since there are a lot more brains and experience on this website, I thought to ask about mounting distances, say on your scope level, so that you can check the yardages quickly before taking aim.

I use a small version of one of these and tape it to the objective bell on the scope. You can write in the yardages or put it into Word and have nice typed version. See attached PDF file. I converted it from a Word file as this site doesn't support Word attachments.

brx-neu2-366px (1).png

1664050651721.png

Attachments

• BRX with 3150 130 grain.pdf
    247.3 KB · Views: 125
Myself personally I have a elastic band with range card inserted. That way I can do last minute look without coming off scope. There is no right or wrong, just what is comfortable and easiest for you. Experiment with options and see what suits you best.

I use a small version of one of these and tape it to the objective bell on the scope. You can write in the yardages or put it into Word and have nice typed version. See attached PDF file. I converted it from a Word file as this site doesn't support Word attachments.

View attachment 396398

View attachment 396400
If you can shrink this down to fit in your eye piece cover on you scope, that would be the ****! I'm gonna try it.

What he said👆
The only way I would put it on the flip up eye piece is if they were screw on covers like Leupold makes. I have lost enough Butler Creek style caps that I would not want my cheat sheet in the eye piece of one of those. That said, it would be a handy, easy to see spot where you don't have to come off the scope so if I did put it in a Butler Creek I would have a backup taped to the scope or butt stock.

Last edited:
You could send me your ballistics inputs (mv, projo, scope height, elevation in your hunting AO, blah blah) and let me know what scope and reticle you have and then I can make you a custom wrist data card with a BDC map. You can put that in a wrist carrier. Takes me only a couple minutes to do. Looks like the example below. Note, I didn't calibrate the example below very carefullly since it's just to show the general idea. I can also print them out on stuff like aluminum water bottles, phone cases, tshirts and all kinds of other stuff.

screen-shot-2018-06-23-at-07-47-02.png

Is this for hunting or comp? Like everyone has mentioned there are lots of ways to do it but most require coming off the scope. Now having said that, if you are using a range finder, which you should for accurate ranging, you're coming off the scope anyway. My personal preference for hunting is not an overly complicated reticle and ballistic range finder. Now you have current data, with atmospheric and angle, to give you instant dial or hold to numbers that are precise. Might think about getting a ballistic lrf.

Is this for hunting or comp? Like everyone has mentioned there are lots of ways to do it but most require coming off the scope. Now having said that, if you are using a range finder, which you should for accurate ranging, you're coming off the scope anyway. My personal preference for hunting is not an overly complicated reticle and ballistic range finder. Now you have current data, with atmospheric and angle, to give you instant dial or hold to numbers that are precise. Might think about getting a ballistic lrf.
I sold all my gunwerks G7 rangefinders, I'm looking at Vortx fury 5000 AB. carry one unit not rangefinder and binoculars!