Sectioned 30cal bullets. For reference

I called berger and hornady and was told berger target had thicker jackets and hornady m (target) had thinner jackets than hunting versions. Wonder why they are opposite??
Does anyone know the threshold velocity for Hornady SST 150 gr. 308 caliber bullets? They seem to expand very quickly indeed at close range.

I also believe the chemist/metallurgy is going to play a significant role in performance on game. Target of course much less so, but still a useful component. We also could use information on the Brinell of both jacket and core. Are the jackets of some companies annealed to relieve some of the work hardening. Would they invest in differential hardening/annealing? Also mechanical/fluid dynamics interplay both theoretical and practical could reasonably be extrapolated with a few reduced loads and "boned gelatin" compared to full speed. With some of the popular choices. I'd for one be very willing to help fund someone who has time and equipment... at least there would be great photos!!!

Here's a couple I sectioned many years ago. The left one is a 180 gr. 30 cal. Grand Slam. You can see the dual core material difference. The right one is a 338 250gr Nosler Partition. I used rough sandpaper to start and a lot of elbow grease.

Attachments

• A8417789-4367-4C25-BFE7-FF87E5E568CE.png
    A8417789-4367-4C25-BFE7-FF87E5E568CE.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 129
Here's a couple I sectioned many years ago. The left one is a 180 gr. 30 cal. Grand Slam. You can see the dual core material difference. The right one is a 338 250gr Nosler Partition. I used rough sandpaper to start and a lot of elbow grease.
This shows why the Partition is such a great hunting bullet. Too bad they won't build a tipped version of it to improve BC and reduce tip deformation.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.