Questions about a muzzle brake

boliep

I have been thinking about having a muzzle brake added to one of my rifles. Looking online showed two predominant types. The first is a brake with holes all over it. The second is a side baffle with usually three slots on each side.

My question is whether one style is better for accuracy, less recoil, and less back or size muzzle blast. Also, a suggestion on which brand to buy would be appreciated.

The side baffle kind is much better for recoil, these do tend to have more of a blast for anyone near you. I believe that the radial brakes are much more concussive to the shooter. I do sometimes feel bad shooting my side baffle style of brake at a bench with other people close by, but that is second to my own comfort when compared to a radial brake. I have not tried both styles on the same exact rifle, though I have tried both on different rifles in the same cartridge, one a factory CA Mesa in 28 Nosler and the other a semi-custom 28 Nosler with a MBM Ti Beast II 4-port.

I've owned and shot both. Both do their job in terms of reducing recoil. The main difference that I've noticed is that the radial brake will blow dust up pretty bad if you shoot prone on a dusty area. I'm sure one is better than the other in terms of recoil reduction and possibly noise/blast, but I can't speak to that.