question- stock making, and fitting

dave1

Does anyone have a home remedy for finding high spots in ur stock when fitting barrel,receiver . what im looking for is to put something on my barrel and receiver thats safe and will transfer to the wood in stock so i can see high spots, problem areas. i know they sell stuff to do this but im sure someone know a trick.
getting ready here in PA for rifle season. checking our shooting spots and possibly going to build another bench!
DAVE

What you are referring to is called "inking"
Permatex makes a blue ink in a tube. MSC and Brownell's sell it.
Use a small brush to apply it to the action then fit it in the stock. The ink will transfer to the areas of the stock that come in contact.

There you have it.

I know places sell this product. i was asking for some input on other things to use. i dont have the money to buy it right now im disabled and also on a fixed income. so im trying to use something like "round the house"
thank you,
dave

Dave

I have also used carbon paper ( They use to use a lot of it when typewriters were around)

Just tape it to the action or barrel .set it in the stock and move the barreled action a little
and it will leave marks on the stock in the area thats touching.

Just another way to skin the cat

J E CUSTOM

hey thank you for that tip my dad said that to. you wont belive what i found to work out . i put a thin coat of vasiline in the action and barrel and it worked it put small dark spots on the inside of stock. i got it all ready to bed now.
hey can someone please tell me how to post pictures on the site. i went to control panel but could not find the pictures button they say is there?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.