Question on the 7 prc

Ok I'm loosing my 7mag xbolt to my wife, I'll be looking for a new rifle and am wondering if the 7prc is much better then the 7mag?
I just got back from, the Desert and watching my Son's Tikka, 24" Proof Barrelled, 7 PRC, Rifle with, New Zeiss Conquest, 4-16X, perform,..
Sweet Shooter !
First 3 shots into, the low .4's after getting on Paper with, FACTORY, 175 gr. ELD-X's,.. yup,.. FACTORY ammo W/ average Muz Velocity 2,950 FPS !
I believe that, IT's the 7 Rem Mag, Cart,.. MODERNIZED with Perfect, Cartridge design and Throat, "Dimensions", for 175-180+ grain Bullets, by Hornady that has, a slightly sharper shoulder, Blown out case with, a Longer Neck, NO Belt and, the correct Bbl. Twist for, the Heavies !
The chambering of the Proof Barrel, is SO Precise on the Tikka action that it, required NOTHING in the way of, Gunsmithing services, except, Torque Bbl., to spec and shoot !
Recoil was TAMED nicely with, the PVA "Jet Blast" Brake down to, 6.5 creed, 130-140 gr. recoil levels and minimal, muzzle rise, off Bench !
He will be reloading the Brass with 180 gr. ELD-M's next, to see if, the group's will, shrink.
Total Rifle weight, 8.7 pounds ( very slightly, Muzzle heavy with, Bbl and Brake ) in the Factory Tikka stock that, he opened up the Bbl channel to fit, the Proof bbl. That little bit of, Muzzle weight, really helps with, bbl Jump / Recoil,.. IMHO !
You could do, a few things, to make, the 7 Rem Mag., shoot heavier Bullets ( Hand loaded ) "well", BUT,.. WHY bother ???
Hornady HAS, "hit the Ball,.. out of the Park" !

Last edited:
If it was me and I liked my 7Rm.
I would get a 6.5Prc, and when your Wife shoot it She will want it and give you your
7Rm back. Then you can have the barrel changed with a 8twt barrel. And it will do anything a 7PRC can do. Just a thought.

If it was me and I liked my 7Rm.
I would get a 6.5Prc, and when your Wife shoot it She will want it and give you your
7Rm back. Then you can have the barrel changed with a 8twt barrel. And it will do anything a 7PRC can do. Just a thought.
My xbolt is already a 8 twist.