Question on the 7 prc

Cnkhunting

Ok I'm loosing my 7mag xbolt to my wife, I'll be looking for a new rifle and am wondering if the 7prc is much better then the 7mag?

I built a 7 PRC on a Tikka with Preferred Barrel Blank hybrid barrel. I absolutely love the round and it shoots factory 175gr eldx really well. I am still working on handloads for this rifle.
Is it that much better than a 7 Mag, I guess that depends on what you consider better. It doesn't have a belt which in my book is better and because of that I have had less problems with single stack mags and the 7 PRC than I've had with the belted magnums and that includes the 300-win mag.
I haven't owned a 7 mag for years and didn't think I'd ever own a 7mm again, but I'm sold on the 7 PRC.
Good luck on your decision.

If your happy with the 7 RM performance and may want to try some heavy bullets, I would go with the 7mm PRC. Going to build a 7mm PRC this winter and give it a try. If there's a down side to this cartridge vs the 7 RM, I'm not seeing it.

It is not better. However you can buy factory ammo loaded with the heaviest / highest bc 7mm bullets. If that is what you want the 7prc is just the ticket. If you handload you can shoot the same bullets in 7mag if have enough twist plus have a large number of factory loads / availability. If you like to hunt with tougher bullets like the normal accubond, etc.. the 7 prc is not worth it at all. Since you didn't specify what ranges/game it is a point to consider

Lou

I don't think there's a nickels worth of difference between what they ultimately do on fur, you've hit to crux of do you want something new, or something you're familiar with?

I'd say forget either and get a 28 Nosler, there ain't no replacement for displacement!