Question on loose primers

Millet

Hello Guys, I just reloaded a bunch of shells for a test I want to shoot. I had pulled the bullets from these shells earlier (because I changed powder) and deprimed the primers to resize the brass. I reprimed with those same primers and noticed that a few felt somewhat loose compared to a "new" primer. My question is, would those loose ones possibly change velocity to a noticeable degree in my test? Any thoughts appreciated!

My question is how did you de-prime without damage to the anvil of the primer? I would not even think to reuse a primer for 3 or 4 cents a piece.

Loose primers can leak or move with the strike causing a misfire. If you are running close to max leakage could possibly turn into a not so good of a deal. I would suggest you start over with new primers that fit correctly

Jeff

When I have had to pull bullets and dump powder to resize a piece of brass, I just leave the primer in the brass and resize it. Making sure the depriming pin is not in the die first of course. This has always worked for me. The die does not resize the web portion of the brass where the primer is. This is a lot safer than depriming an unfired primer. Times I have done that I have always taken the empty primed cartridge and loaded it and fired it out side then deprimed the spent primer.

Well...in this case I can't remove the depriming pin because on the Lee Collet neck die it uses a mandrel to size the inside. Maybe they make a mandrel without a depriming pin on it I don't know.I guess I was pretty ignorant that it would ruin the primer. I read that u can deprime live primers if you are very careful. Anyway...I put new primers in my brass that way I'm confident that it won't hurt my ice test. Thank for helping a green horn out like me:)

I only used decapped primers when I need to shout out dented case necks due to too much lube on the case. Never had a misfire, but I would not use them on any other reloads. My advise is that you reload with fresh primers.

As for loose pockets - diametre's of primers do vary and after a few reloads pockets do get loose. I have revived many casings by using old batch of Winchester primers (white box with blue X I think). Their diametre is a few thousands larger than the new Win primers. Also MagTech is also 1-2 thousands larger and helps to solve loose primer pockets.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.