Question on DNZ mounts - torque

Robster80

For those who use the DNZ mounts, what do u torque the base and rings to? The package just says 25lbs but doesnt say if thAts for base or rings or both...on their site they say up to 30 on the ring screws but nothing on the base. This is my first time mounting a scope myself and i just wanna be sure i dont damage my scope in any way. Also confused as to whether to use loctite as ive read it can lead to overtorquing the mount and dnz doesnt reccomend it. Just wondering what a good safe reccomendation would be

Use the allen/torx wrench that ships with the mount. When the short end is inserted, you tighten until the long end starts to bend. That is the perfect torque amount. DO NOT use loctite on the aluminum caps. Or any screws that tighten into aluminum. But DO use loctite for screws (base screws) that tighten into steel. I also use some brake clean in the base/receiver holes and blow them out with air prior to installing mount.

JMHO....this has worked for me.

jjw
ND

Why wouldn't you use loctite on aluminum rings? I do and I've never had a problem or loose screws.

This is copied from the DNZ FAQ site......Thread Locker – it is not needed with our mounts if it is installed correct. DO NOT use any type of thread locker on our long ring screws. The screws we use are longer than other companies screws. We have about 20 threads holding your scope in place on each screw. If you do use thread locker, most of the time you will have to saw or break screws to get your scope out of mount. Do not send any mount back to us for exchange or refund if it has thread locker on the mount at any spot.

Interesting and noted. I will continue to use loctite on all of my scope mounts, DNZ included. To many problems in the past....

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.