Question on changing bullets....

The Oregonian

I have a good load for 6.5cm at 43.2gr of H4350 and Berger 140 HVLD, getting 2850fps....I want to use partitions for my son since he will be shooting around 150 and in - don't think Bergers are in their element at that close range if he hits shoulder.

I will start a little lower in powder and make sure no pressure shows up, but I would think that the velocity sweet spot would hold for both bullets (both 140gr), and it would come down to seating depth, where the partitions are likely to need a much bigger jump. Is that an accurate approach?

Mikecr is most likely correct. I have never noticed velocity nodes being the same just because the bullet weights are the same and seating depth is a whole other discussion.

Also take into thought that the rifle might not like the Partition bullet. I have had some rifles that just will not shoot them accurately. You never will know until you give them a try and it will most likely be with a slightly different powder load because the Partitions seem to build pressure quicker, at lest they do for me. If the Partition will not shoot to your expectations give the Accubond either the 130 or 140 gr a try. In my experience they like to jump a ways and they are the best of both worlds of the Ballistic Tip and the Partition. They fly like the BT and start of expand like the BT but hold together like the Partition and keep on trucking. I shoot the 130 gr in my 264 Win mag running it at 3350 fps and even as close as 25 yards it goes in a deer scapula takes out the vitals and exits the off side scapula with about a nickel size hole and deer is DRT. I get the same performance a touch over 500 yards. I have killed over two dozen deer with this bullet and only recovered one from a buck shot at 111 yards almost facing me. Bullet was found against smashed ball socket in right ham after going completely through the deer. Text book mushroom and recovered weight was 87 grs. Good luck in your adventure.

I have had AB pencil through at 75-100 yds when hitting soft tissue and not bone. But the deer didn't go more than 75 yds due to a heart shot. I may try those after having a go with the PT's - I already have a box of the PT's....I don't need a super accurate load for 150 yds and in, which is what this load would be for with my son. I think either a BT or AB would work...I have had good luck with 30 cal BT's but my 7nderstandingnis that they have a thicker jacket and are designed to hold together a little more than the smaller cals.

Is that an accurate approach

Just be safe. Research load data from the manuals on the bullets you are shooting. The bearing surfaces between the two bullets are very different and will yield different max pressures.

I've shot the Hornady Interlocks and they have performed very well under 100 yards with high MV's and only loose 50% of the their mass at cost half of a Nosler PT. Food for thought. Your POI will also change as the bullet are of different shape and construction.

I always aim for impact in the crease right behind the shoulder unless it is a quartering on shot. A Berger will shatter a deer's shoulder like any other bullet however and have plenty to wreak havoc on the vitals if you do happen to hit a leg bone. I have used the .257" 115 HVLD @ 3450fps MV on a lot of deer too. From 81 to 488 yards. Very impressive.
The 6.5mm 150 SMK works very well from my limited experience with them so far. Not much difference in performance from an HVLD. Same with the 142SMK, which I have used a lot on game.

Just a heads up on the Accubond. I have also heard people make the statement that they did not expand and penciled through. I think we need to learn how bonded bullets work. Bonded bullets do expand and the more they expand the jacket keeps folding back toward the base and the lead flows with it bonded to it. At close range where velocity is very high especially with mag rounds the AB expands so much that the jacked peels back and is folded tight against the shank of the bullet so when it exits it does leave a small exit hole thus making people think it did not expand when they are used to seeing bigger exits from bullets that have come apart and shed their weight displacing lots of liquid in the tissue and blowing it forward and out the exit making it larger. That is the reason your see that blood spray on the exit side of game.

I always aim for impact in the crease right behind the shoulder unless it is a quartering on shot. A Berger will shatter a deer's shoulder like any other bullet however and have plenty to wreak havoc on the vitals if you do happen to hit a leg bone. I have used the .257" 115 HVLD @ 3450fps MV on a lot of deer too. From 81 to 488 yards. Very impressive.
The 6.5mm 150 SMK works very well from my limited experience with them so far. Not much difference in performance from an HVLD. Same with the 142SMK, which I have used a lot on game.
Thanks...I'll stay with the Berger even on shorter shots. Have used Nosler BT's out of a 30-06 for years but trying Bergers this year out of some new guns, so I have no personal experience with them on game.

I used NBTs for years on lighter game like deer. Bergers are a bit tougher but act very similarly. Plus, they are more accurate.

For <200 yards try the Nosler Partitions. While my experience is with the .30-06 killed from a 50 pound Baboon to a 750 pound Wilebeest one shot kills with 9 animals.

Good Luck

Jerry

I use the 140vld for everything in my 6.5 Sherman no issues what so ever at any distance.
Last year I went for a walk shot a WT buck in the trees at less than 50 yards in the shoulder purely by mistake it was a quick up and shoot and let me tell you it was devistsing he only went a few Feet.
I also put down MD at 1135 1 shot passed right through both lungs beautiful exit hole he made 1 step and tipped.
My wife shot her first elk can't remember how far it was but it was over 300 6.5 284 140 vld
Tipped over 1 shot so they do work at all ranges very well.
Last year full curl ram because of angle it went in behind front shoulder blew out his other front then took a chunk of horn as well.
My sons 6.5 CM shoots factory American WT very well but was bored so I worked up a load with 135 classic hunter as I had a bunch in cabinet and there's nothing I won't let him shoot with it out to 400 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.