Hammer Bullets Accuracy Question on Seating Depth.

I have some loaded at .005, .020, .040, .060, and some at 2.86 COAL. I'm confident that one of these loads will produce sub MOA accuracy. Not sure when the weather is going to allow me to test them out though.

I had a 7mm WSM built 6 years ago with a 23" 9 twist Kreiger barrel. I could not find brass so I bought 160 rounds of HSM ammo and shot it to get brass and break it in. I am just now after 6 years starting to develop a load for it using 143 Hammer Hunters. I found a good velocity node at 3215 fps using 67.3 - 67.7 grains of 4831sc. I am .020 off the lands but my groups are around 1.5 MOA. Does seating depth have much effect on these? I was planning to do the Berger seating depth test next but maybe I need to switch powders? I know these are great bullets from what I have read here so I am just looking for advice from some of you who have loaded for these as this is my first time. The gun shoots around 1 MOA with HSM factory 168 berger loads.

According to David Tubbs, seating depth will a much greater effect on your groupings, that a variation of several grains of powder.

According to David Tubbs, seating depth will a much greater effect on your groupings, that a variation of several grains of powder.
I agree and have proven so in the past especially with Berger bullets. .030 OTL in my 28 Nosler gave me 1 moa groups. After doing the seating depth test and settled on .020 OTL it is now a .3 MOA load. These Hammer bullets are a whole different animal though so I take Steve's word for it when he says that typically seating depth is not as big of a factor with them. Although every gun is different and I'm sure I will figure something out with them. This gun has never produced a group better than 1 Moa but I have only fired Factory rounds through it so it is not yet a proven shooter. But soon we shall see.

Last edited:
I better try something based on what you are saying. Before I found the seating depth these 130 Sledgehammers like I chose a load about 150 per second slower than pressure signs showed. Maybe I could run it back up to pressure and still be about 1/2MOA.

I'm running 67.1gr RE23 in my 25" bbl 7WSM. Bullets are loaded about .050" off the rifling.

Velocity is only 3,200 ft/sec but I've shot groups as small as 1.2" at 400yds. I'm averaging about 2" at that distance.

RE26 would probably get much more velocity but early tests with it weren't very accurate in my rifle.

My 7mm WSM shoots 5 150gr Hammers to 3350-3390 FPS with RL 26 into a ragged hole from 24" barrel ... consistently, and without ejector swipe and effortless bolt lift. Primers +/- flattish. SD 8 - 12 FPS. Win brass Fed 215 primers
What is your COAL with this load?

I have a custom 7mm WSM but its setup with a standard BDL bottom metal. I am limited to 2.860" if I don't want to single load.

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.