Question on changing bullets....

I have had AB pencil through at 75-100 yds when hitting soft tissue and not bone. But the deer didn't go more than 75 yds due to a heart shot. I may try those after having a go with the PT's - I already have a box of the PT's....I don't need a super accurate load for 150 yds and in, which is what this load would be for with my son. I think either a BT or AB would work...I have had good luck with 30 cal BT's but my 7nderstandingnis that they have a thicker jacket and are designed to hold together a little more than the smaller cals.
This part is not true in at least one instance, the 284/7mm 120 Ballistic tip. Nosler actually thickened these jackets up substantially for silhouette shooters. They actually may be the thickest jacket of all calibers. I am not sure about the 6.5s though

Recently Nosler rebranded the BT into two streams Ballistic Tip Hunting and Ballistic Tip Varmint.

Apparently the jackets on the 'Hunting' stream were toughened up. I'm not clear on the metrics, but I think you are working with old info there @Bigeclipse

I have a good load for 6.5cm at 43.2gr of H4350 and Berger 140 HVLD, getting 2850fps....I want to use partitions for my son since he will be shooting around 150 and in - don't think Bergers are in their element at that close range if he hits shoulder.

I will start a little lower in powder and make sure no pressure shows up, but I would think that the velocity sweet spot would hold for both bullets (both 140gr), and it would come down to seating depth, where the partitions are likely to need a much bigger jump. Is that an accurate approach?
I've never had a problem with VLDs on shoulder shots with 140-210 grain bullets at 2700-3400 fps.....and with and exit hole on most animals. I wouldn't worry about using them at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.