Question on boattail and flatbase bullets

Robster80

Ive been shooting the 140gr BTSP interlock in my .270. Noticed that hornady is now offering the flatbase version in the american whitetail lineup in 140gr. Question is will the flatbase bullet shoot same Point of impact as the boattail?

Ive been shooting the 140gr BTSP interlock in my .270. Noticed that hornady is now offering the flatbase version in the american whitetail lineup in 140gr. Question is will the flatbase bullet shoot same Point of impact as the boattail?

At 1200 yds most likely not, at 100 MAYBE. That is something that no one on the internet can answer unless they broke into your house and shot both loads out of your gun, which would probably annoy you.

Flat base bullets have higher drag and are harder to load without problems.

They will perform ok at short ranges but at long range they destabilize much faster than a bullet of similar size and construction with a boat tail.

In my many years of experience with bullets some rifles just don't like BT bullets. Same rifle often will be a tack driver with flat base bullets. Inside 300 yards many rifles will shoot much tighter groups with flat base bullets than boat tail. The boat tail bullets do not settle down stabilization wise as quickly as flat base bullets. At longer ranges, 300 yards and longer is where the BT bullets shine. They have less drag and the wind does not effect them as much. Like has been said at close range you may get lucky and have either shoot the same but not at longer ranges.

In my many years of experience with bullets some rifles just don't like BT bullets. Same rifle often will be a tack driver with flat base bullets. Inside 300 yards many rifles will shoot much tighter groups with flat base bullets than boat tail. The boat tail bullets do not settle down stabilization wise as quickly as flat base bullets. At longer ranges, 300 yards and longer is where the BT bullets shine. They have less drag and the wind does not effect them as much. Like has been said at close range you may get lucky and have either shoot the same but not at longer ranges.

This has been my experience also with the exception of the 300 yd comment but could also be nuts on with some calibers and bullet weights. All I know is the vast amount of bench rest shooters that shoot them itty bitty bug holes shoot flat based bullets as a norm.

Boattail are harder to shoot well than flatbase. As the bullet exits the FB is EVENLY impacted by gas at the muzzle. BTs aren't. Not many SRBR BT bullets.

And the OPs question was POI not whether they shoot well or whatever. POI is impossible to predict.

Seriously? What do you do just fling bullets downrange hoping they happen to hit your target?

An accurate bullet is predictable, that's what makes them accurate.gun)

No he was asking if the FB will hit at the same POINT OF IMPACT as a BT. He never asked if they were accurate. Just if they would hit in the same spot. Some will some wont.

No he was asking if the FB will hit at the same POINT OF IMPACT as a BT. He never asked if they were accurate. Just if they would hit in the same spot. Some will some wont.

I would bet that they won't have the same POI at LR distance - at 100 yds you are right, some will, some will not.

I would bet that they won't have the same POI at LR distance - at 100 yds you are right, some will, some will not.

I would bet everything I own on it AND borrow everything I could from a ****ed off legbreaking loanshark at long range. At 100 yds MAYBE. 1000? Not in a million years.

Wont the BC of the bullet have a huge impact at 1000 yrds. Where at 100 yrds BC probably means diddly. If the BT bullet has a higher or lower BC it will not have the same impact 1000yrds.

If they aren't accurate, they won't have the same POI with the same load:D Sorry, I couldn't help it!......Rich

If they aren't accurate, they won't have the same POI with the same load:D Sorry, I couldn't help it!......Rich

Depends what your allowable accuracy figure is.:) I remember reading Outdoor Life in the 70s and the mythical 375H&H was so renowned because SOME of them would shoot to the same POI with 235,270 and 300. Of course POI was within 3 inches or so at 100. Different strokes.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.