Boattail , Flatbase or whatever

texas

Ok one more stuipd question.
Whats the big difference in shooting these?
Ease of reloading? Better accuracy? Is there anything that makes one better than the other? If possible in layman terms been a long day.

Texas, From what I heard and have tried myself the flatbase bullets are generally more accurate, thats all the Benchresters use, from what I understand it's because you have a better seal then with a boattail, ie. gases don't get around the heal of the bullet as easy and the fact that it's easier to make a flatbase more accurate bacause of it's configuration, boattails are the bullet of choice for longrange shooting because of their higher BC. for instance the 95gr. VLD I was shooting in my 6mmRem. has half as much wind drift at 1000yds then the 75gr Sierra I'm using, but the Sierra has been more accurate at 100yds, but wouldn't hesitate to use the Berger at extreme yardage. Boattail bullets are a little more forgiving when loading but I've never had any problems with flatbase as long as you chamfer your case after trimming. There, laymans terms from a layman.
wink.gif
Jay

It is easier to make a flatbase bullet with a low CG offset, although I have seen boatails that are very good. The practical tradeoff shows up in the real world between 300 and 500 yards. Past 500, the advantage in wind drift exceeds the percieved disadvantage of less accuracy. You rarely see a boattail bullet win a benchrest contest 300 or shorter, and you rarely see a flat based bullet win past 500 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.