Question on 7mm ammo

TENHunter

Buddy of mine has some 7mm rem mag ammo he's basically giving away - 165 gr Sierra Gameking and 175 gr Remington Core-lokt. Thoughts on either load for elk? Clearly not the "latest and greatest" but price is hard to beat and if it's not broke...

Before I started loading my own I shot the factory loaded 165 Gameking (GK) ammo and it was great for deer. The 165 Sierra GK had a very good BC, probably the highest of any factory ammo at the time. I don't think it was ever offered as a reloading component (at least I could never find it), the closest was the 160 grain'er GK which had a fairly average BC. If further shots were on the menu I'd definitely use the Sierra, if closer and/or more penetration was needed I'd go with the Core Lokt.

Last edited:
Both will work just fine if you place them right...tons of elk are killed yearly with those two bullets. I'd not fret it one bit
I've shot and tried a host of bullets in my reloading for various calibers and must say that Remington Core Lokt bullets have always performed well for me on game. I switched to them years ago after trying Winchester power point bullets that flattened out in the magazine due to recoil. There are many great bullets out there now and I've used a lot of them but still, the Core Lokt's perform and if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Just my 2 cents!

My buddy had a surprise offhand shot on a bull quartering in with a factory 165 Core Lokt 30-06 at 75 yards.
The impact caught the edge of the nearside shoulder and entered the ribcage and travelled the length of the body, through the hind quarter and exited near the poop shoot. You could see though the golf ball size hole in the rear.
Bull stumbled 30-40 yards and laid down and never moved.
It did make a mess taking gut through and had to be cleaned very well.

Great penetration with CoreLokt was my point here.

Have a great day!

Last edited:
Appreciate the feedback and very much open to more. Guessing shots will be 300 or less. Leaning towards the core-lokt but will depend on how well the gun "likes" each...