Question on load

BYF

I have a question on load data for elk. I have a 30.06 weatherby vanguard s2 with a vortex viper scope and bipod. I am planning on loading hornady sst 180gr. I have on hand IMR 4831 powder. I will be loading Winchester brass. I will be starting at 55gr and going to a max load of 56.5gr to see what the best grouping will be with my setup. I do not have a hunt set yet but would like to set this rig up for one in the future. I would like to effectively take one out to 800yds. My question is, is this powder ok or should I look for an alternative? What primer would you recommend? I would be using this setup for mule deer and antelope before I go after an elk.

Last edited:
I personally think there are better bullets for a 800yrd. Elk shot the BC of the 180sst is .480 so wind and other factors will influence your shot at that distance, the 180 sierra game king has a BC of . 501 to .506 at 3006 velocities that's a little better but I would look at the berger 210 vld or the 215 hybrid for that range the hybrid has a BC .696. I have a very accurate load for my 3006 that will get it done at 800yrd. 200grn. Sierra game king BC .560, 52grns. Imr 4350 fed 215 match primers with winchester brass 3.35 coal.

800 yards is a real stretch for the 06 for elk even with the best long range bullets. I use a 30-06 for elk with the 190gr Berger at 2705fps (sweet spot) and that gets me out to about 650 yards using the 1800fps and 1500 ft lbs of energy as a guideline. The longest elk taken with this load was 522yards.

Been fooling with the 215gr Berger as I'm building a 300 WM, and have a bunch on hand, in the 06 and according to QuickLoad with a velocity of around 2600fps can reach out to around 850 yards using the guideline above. Shot through the chronograph a week ago 80 degrees and was getting 2625fps at the max load. Have not done any testing so don't know where the accuracy lies. Using RL17 Lapua brass and Fed 210 primers in the 06.

800 seems like a tall order for the 06. I'd look at a bonded bullet like the accubond in 165gr or barnes if your gun likes them. Seems like a universal load for the 06 is 57gr +/- 1 gr of imr 4350 and 165/168 bullet. If you really need to shoot that far borrow/buy something with more HP. Please don't take this as me knocking the caliber. Its just one of those calibers that does nothing great, but a lot of things well.

I hunt with an '06 for elk. 800 is a serious stretch, particularly with a lighter bullet like the 180 SST. I'm guessing you're a newbie to elk hunting. Most shots are closer to 400, unless you plan for and set up for a LR shot. You can get to 800 and do the job effectively with an '06, but you'll want heavier and higher BC bullets, like a 210 or 215 Berger, 200 Gameking, 208 Amax, or a Nosler LR Accubond.

Just my approach, but you'd be better off to plan for a shot that you can do with what you have on hand, which is about 600 max. You should be able to get those SST's to plenty of velocity with IMR4831. I've had great results with R-22, R-19, and Ramshot Hunter with that bullet. Either 4350 is also a great choice. When and where I hunt elk, it is frickin' cold, so I stick with Fed215's in all of my hunting loads to make sure ignition is concise even in the extreme cold (have been out after elk in -20 with wind chill -50).

The 30-06 is a great 600yd elk caliber. Mild recoil and plenty of power with the right bullets. Past that, the numbers get sketchy, and at 800, the drops and drift require precise calls to make a good shot. Good luck to you!

I personally believe that your choice of 800 yds for the 30-05 is an overload task for the Old Soldier! The amount of energy won't really be enough and the doping out for that bullet at 800-yds is going to be one heck of a job to get done.

You would be much better off with something like the .300 Win mag and better yet a .300 Ultra mag with 210 grain bullet. Velosity should be close to 300 fps faster and the B.C is also better also.

I would also echo what others have said and stay under 600 yards with the 06. I would also forget the SSTs and go with their Interbond or something similar. That is from my experience on elk with the SST bullet and it was not good!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.