Question For Kirby (Fifty)???????

wildcat

Kirby, as mentioned before, I am going to build a Long Range Tactical Rifle. The caliber I am wanting to build is your 338 Allen Mag. I would like to use my BAT Model 8.5 action, that is currently on my 6.5x284. I believe the port Dia is 3.35. Can you build the 338 Allen Mag on this action? This is what I am thinking about for this project;
1. BAT 8.5 Action, 1.55 Dia, 3.35 port Dia
2. Kriger 30", 1.250 straight Tapper, 1-10 twist
3. McMillan A-5, Thumbwheel Cheek piece, 3 Way Spacer System, and about 6 pounds of lead added to stock
4. Jewell Trigger
5. Vais Muzzel Brake
6. Davidson Base with 20MOA
7. Kelby Rings
8. Nightforce 5.5x22x56 NXS
9. This rifle should weight around 26lbs

Most of the parts I have listed above, are already in my possesion. The only thing I don't have is the stock. I have already orderd the Barrel. If you think the 338 Allen Mag will be to much for this set up, let me know. My second choice, of caliber, would be the 30-378 Weatherby. Sorry for the long question, I just need your advice because, of course, the 338 Allen Mag is your Baby. Thanks, in advance Kirby for your help.

Wildcat

Everything looks good except the receiver. Bruce tells me that the receiver for the 408 CT is a specific receiver and that the others should not be modified for the large 408 case.

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks Kirby, if I go with the 7mm Allen Mag, will the receiver work? If so, let me know. I still have time to call Krieger and have them change the diameter of the barrel. If I go with the 7mm Allen Mag, what twist rate should I go with?

Thanks
Wildcat

I would imagine it would work. I would just have to machine some tooling to hold the BAT bolt in the lathe chuck so I could open the bolt face up. Would have to do some thinking there.

With a long barrel like that I would suspect a 1-9 6 groove or a Rock 5R 1-8 or 1-8.5 would be what I would recommend for anything up to the 200 gr ULD RBBT.

I am not sure what Kreiger offers for the 7mm bore in this twist rate but anything close would work just as well.

At this time this is just a recommendation but I will be able to tell you 100% here this week. My light weight 7mm AM is about ready to roll and I used a 1-9 twist Lilja 6 groove on it.

With the added velocity of a long barrel I beleive the 1-7 3 groove would be very hard on the 200 gr ULD RBBTs.

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks Kirby, I will think on this one. Like I said, I have most of the parts, so I just need to make up my mind. Thanks for the info. Maybe I will just go with a Remington Long Action?

Wildcat

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts