Question for Extreme LR 338 hunters

Antslayer,
give me some details on your new purchase. Whats the configuration? Where are you getting dies and how are you making brass?
Thanks

I have used the 300g SMK to kill at 950 1125 and 1520 yards but not at the low velocity you are looking for. The 1125 shot the velocity was 1750 that was at 900 foot above sea leval. At elevation where I hunt elk it would take over 3000 yards the go under 1000fps. Here is a pic of a deer I shot at 1125 yards

041977.jpg

and some of the jacket

041981.jpg

Crow Mag

7Ultra,

The boys I know using the 300 Whisper are getting 2400 fps pretty comfortably with the 150 gr bullets out of 20" barrels.

I would say the 338 version would get very close to the same velocity with the 180 gr bullet out of the same length barrel but would run a bit less in a 17" pipe. Not alot less though.

I would highly recommend the Lilja barrel. If I were to build myself a rifle like this I would use a Rem short action with a Holland Comp recoil lug and a 20" Lilja 1.250" straight cylinder barrel for shear rigidity and stiffness. I would get a 20" barrel just for a bit better balance and to keep the muzzle blast a little further from my face.

For more of a field rifle instead of a target, I would use a straight taper with a muzzle diameter in the .800" range.

The 1-10 twist would be my choice but I would refer with Mr. Lilja, telling him what velocity and bullet I would be using and go with his recommendation, he has never steered me wrong with a customes rifle or one of my own.

If you wanted to go with a 17" barrel, this would work fine as well, like I said 20" would just be personal preference.

You are correct that this round does not need alot of barrel to work well, you will get slight velocity gains with a 20" barrel bt probably not much over 50-60 fps over the 17" pipe.

Keep in mind one thing, the 300 gr Mk is huge, both in weight and length. When using a case as small as the Whispers case, you really need to be aware of bullet seating depth. If you have a throat designed to use the 300 gr MK seated to the bast of the neck, no conventional 338 bullet will be able to be seated to the lands or anywhere near them.

Design your throat to be able to work with the 180 r Ballistic Tip and the base of the big MK will probably plug your flash hole!!!

If you are going to build this rifle as a dual purpose rifle, you may want to fore go the 300 gr MK and use the 250 gr version.

This will help you make this round work as a dual purpose round easier. Remember, dual purpose rifles are always a compromise and generally on both usages.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks for the advice Fifty,
I already e-mailed Mr. Lilja, and SSK. We'll see what comes of it. I've always been impressed with lilja barrels, especially the one I have chambered in 6.5-284. Has anyone had any experience with SSK. JD has a pretty extensive resume.

I'll have to give it some thought on the barrel contour and length. I want a tactical styled rig, and would like to keep the gun weight (without scope) around 9-10 pounds. One of the draw backs with my 6.5 is the weight.

7 Ultra-- It is on a 700 stainless Long action, with the bolt opened up to .592 and a Sako extractor, thick pinned recoil lug, and the 338 Lapua brass is just cut at the neck body junction. S1 is making the dies and the doing the machine work. He did my 338 Lapua in switch barrel configuration, and I am having him do a 30 Wolf barrel and a 50 Whisper barrel to switch on this action. One stock, one scope, one trigger, 3 calibers.

SSK messed up my Ar10 300 WSM so I sent it to S1 to fix, and had him do a 338 Lapua, they shoot so well now, I am ordering more barrels for the Remmy. I like Lilja barrels, but he does not make the best twist rates for some Whispers, especially in the 50 cal.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.