Question About Odd Find in Pistol Ammo

Weaver93

Nothing to do with rifle reloading, but a curious question for you guys that have seen it all!

I got 500 rounds of FC Tactical Hydra-Shok from a lady who's husband was FBI and started pulling it down for the brass and projectiles since I don't really trust anything I didn't buy or load. Hey, free primed brass and 124gr Hydra-Shok so I'm in.

As we started to pull some of it looked off like maybe some was reloads. Seat depth looked off and didn't see a crimp. About 50 rounds in I found this. No powder, just the piece of foam looking stuff in the case. Just wondering if anyone might have an idea what the heck is going on?

71858004913__0F255E0E-BB18-43EC-92D1-976475A19179.jpeg
IMG_0981.jpeg
IMG_0982.jpeg
IMG_0983.jpeg

Nothing to do with rifle reloading, but a curious question for you guys that have seen it all!

I got 500 rounds of FC Tactical Hydra-Shok from a lady who's husband was FBI and started pulling it down for the brass and projectiles since I don't really trust anything I didn't buy or load. Hey, free primed brass and 124gr Hydra-Shok so I'm in.

As we started to pull some of it looked off like maybe some was reloads. Seat depth looked off and didn't see a crimp. About 50 rounds in I found this. No powder, just the piece of foam looking stuff in the case. Just wondering if anyone might have an idea what the heck is going on?

View attachment 500478
View attachment 500479
View attachment 500480
View attachment 500481
Did the wife & him get along ? Maybe she wanted a little insurance ? Just an attempt at some dark humor.

Did the wife & him get along ? Maybe she wanted a little insurance ? Just an attempt at some dark humor.
I know what you mean! I would love to know the story. That would truly suck in a gunfight! This is why I never use ammo from secondary market. As far as I know her husband never reloaded a round in his life.

Is there any indication that it was in with other bullets used for training? In our PD academy, if a shooter was prone to jerking the trigger, the instructor would put a dummy round in the middle of the magazine stack. When the student got to the dummy round, it would really accentuate the jerking of the trigger. Otherwise, I cant think of another reason, and I agree, it's very dangerous to have that mixed in with live ammo. Not what you'd want to have in a gun battle.

Is there any indication that it was in with other bullets used for training? In our PD academy, if a shooter was prone to jerking the trigger, the instructor would put a dummy round in the middle of the magazine stack. When the student got to the dummy round, it would really accentuate the jerking of the trigger. Otherwise, I cant think of another reason, and I agree, it's very dangerous to have that mixed in with live ammo. Not what you'd want to have in a gun battle.
If it has a hot primer wouldn't it be a good way for a possible squib ?

I agree with 436. Put a flame to it, see if it ignites. May be some type of experimental propellant? Sorta like Pyrodex pellets? But, I can't see Federal loading experimental components into LE duty ammo. Anything labeled as LE ammo is supposed to go through more scrutiny and QC checks as it is being loaded, so I can't imagine what that is.

As we started to pull some of it looked off like maybe some was reloads. Seat depth looked off and didn't see a crimp. About 50 rounds in I found this. No powder, just the piece of foam looking stuff in the case.
Sorry reread the original post. I should not post while waiting for the coffee to finish.

With 9mm the crimp should be a taper, so it may not always be easy to see. Unlike the roll crimp used on most revolver ammunition.

I have had lightly crimped ammo 'back-up' the bullet when cycling them thru an auto-loader. It could be that the bullet was pushed back by someone checking feed or some similar operation.

The foam I've got no clue, but am too curious if it burns like powder or not.

Sorry guys, on the road for a bit.

OK, @bomberodevil and @M1A1ABRAMS it was a hot primer. My brother popped it in his pistol so it would have been an issue.

@436 , @Laelkhunter and @Ol' Red I'll get my brother to fire it up and see

@ntsqd it just seemed there was more of a brass lip at the bullet than normal. May have just been me though.