Odd question about 338-06 AI dies.

Finch0351

So I have a 338-06 Ackley Improved on the way in a Ruger m77 Mannlicher i won cheap online. I've been reloading for about a year and have a good understanding of the basics. I plan on stretching 30-06 brass and then fire forming. Here's my questions. Since i will only be neck sizing can I simply use the 338win mag sizer to neck up and deprime? Also can i use the 338wm seating die? Has anyone tried? What do i have to lose? Also is it worth having a custom set made for my chamber? Should i buy just a neck die and a seater? I'm a little bit in over my head but having a **** fine time. All knowledge and experience graciously accepted.

Firstly, the 338WM dies will NOT function correctly for what you're trying to do, the WM case is not only fatter but also longer.

I recommend you buy a set of 338-06AI Redding Deluxe dies, they come with FL, NECK & Seater dies.

I have a 338-06 myself, I simply run the 06 cases into the FL die to open the neck, load then shoot with my chosen load.
I also run a few Improved cases, I fireform using Universal, TP (toilet paper), COW and soap or wax to seal while transporting.
YouTube has plenty of video relating to this technique of fireforming.

I also recommend you have the headspace checked by a competent gunsmith, all AI chambers should have .003-.005" NEGATIVE head clearance to the datum on UNFIRED PARENT BRASS.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.