Small pistol primers in AR ammo???

Daves762

I went into the reloading room to finish a batch of rounds for my M4.
When I reached for the box of small rifle primers it was actually a box of small pistol primers.
I cannot be sure that I accidently used the small pistol primers instead of small rifle primers, but as I re-played the day before in my head I just might have grabbed the small pistol on accident........

The load is
55fmj
LC brass
24gr H355
light crimp.

I have loaded up to 26gr of H355 in this M4 int he past so the 24 gr loads aren't too hot.

My question is........should I cautiously test them out to see if they work, or disassemble the whole batch....

ps I was tossing them onto a pile of about 1500rds so It would be hard to find all of them.......stupid I know.....

please advise.......

Dave

I know you're not gonna like this, but I would disasemble them. They aren't as strong or hot as rifle primers andare meant to ignite charges of 4-10g, they shouldn't be trusted. They can cause delayed detonation which can lodge a bullet in the barrel and spike pressures causing case rupture. Don't take a chance.....When in doubt disassemble them. I know this stinks, If I had a nickle for evey time I did stuff like this........well any way good luck.
Dan

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.