Question about my brass

crbrta

Hey guys! I just started reloading for my .300 wsm. I have lots of brass I've kept over the years and brass is hard to find in .300 wsm right now. I had 30 rounds of old Nosler brass, probably 8 to 10 years old. I cleaned it up and they looked brand new. I started a mild load ladder following the Berger reloading manual stopping at 62 grains what they said was max. I never hit any pressure signs and had really great results. I got the brass back out and was about to reload the 2 nodes that looked really good. But when I got the brass out of the tumbler I have a couple of brass that look like this. It looks like powder kind of melted on the brass or something? Or it could be something else I don't know. I can get it off if I scrape it hard but I have to work at it pretty good to get it off and I don't know what it is and I'm kind of concerned about shooting it again. I took a pick of the largest one. My question is this: what is it and is this okay to reload or should I just toss it? Out of 30 rounds I have probably 6 that are like this. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3367.jpeg
    IMG_3367.jpeg
    307.8 KB · Views: 68
It's neither. It's like a black discoloration. There was a glob of something on it that was hard and black. I scraped it off but it left the brass discolored. I probably should have taken better pics. Here's a couple from different angles right under the light.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 50
It's neither. It's like a black discoloration. There was a glob of something on it that was hard and black. I scraped it off but it left the brass discolored. I probably should have taken better pics. Here's a couple from different angles right under the light.
I wouldn't worry about it. It's just a little carbon from some mild blow back around the neck. I would guess you have a thou or less of erosion in an incredibly small portion in the neck of your chamber allowing gas to escape to the shoulder.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's just a little carbon from some mild blow back around the neck. I would guess you have a thou or less of erosion in an incredibly small portion in the neck of your chamber allowing gas to escape to the shoulder.
That makes sense. Thank you!

Recent Posts