Question about brass

Sleepy Time

Pretty new to handloading and have a question about brass. Need some .270 brass and wasn't very happy with the Winchester brass I got for my 300wsm. My question, is the Remington brass better and are brands such as nosler worth the extra money?

For the most part the more items cost the better the item. You get what you pay for. I have used a lot of Remington brass and have not had problems. Weatherby and norma brass has been real good. Haven't tried any other brands.

can you add more to the story about the win brass.maybe we can come up with a better reason to why you hated it.

no with that said.most people you talk too will say that win brass is the way to go if you want pay out for Lapua or anything in the same price range.but for me anything other than Fed is OK to me.Fed brass is just too soft for me.and in most cases I like to use remmy brass have never had any trouble with it.been able to load it preety hot at times,in 223.308,and 300wm.if anything the primer pockets will open up a little but not to the point I cannot use it anymore.matter of fact I just put away some remmy brass that had over 25-30 fireings on it.but still have it if I need it.might just need to load up some plinking ammo for a friend.who knows.

now if the win brass was too short then OK,just keep useing it.it will grow.if it had dents in it.it will blow out when fired.if the weight was off from case to case then put that came out of your head.thats if you are loading for some kind of very long range shoot or something.then you might want it t weigh the same.or if you are getting split necks then just anneal the brass.

see we need more info to help you out.in most part of it the win brass is good.you can get more powder in it than the rest out their.for me the only reason why I own Lapua brass is because I own two different rifels with the same chamber.do not want to mix it.other than that what I can get the most of or have the most of works for me.but still want to try some RWS or Lapua in my 300wm.but for over a $1.00 a case it might not happen.

just thought that I would vent some maybe too much.sometimes it just takes venting to say whats need to say.hope this helped you out a little.but sorry if I spoke to much.

Primers not seating well. Dents in shoulders/neck. I heard that the primer problem was common with Winchester brass. Maybe it's not really a problem. What y'all think?

I always prefer Lapua and then Norma for accuracy/consistency when available.

Nosler is the best brass I've found for my 270 Win. It's not cheap. But, it's a relatively small component of my overall shooting budget. Your situation may differ. And, I have run across a couple of batches of Nosler brass in other cartridges that had excessive eccentricity.

That said, you can achieve good results with Winchester. So like the other's stated, you should assess what it is specifically that you don't like.

-- richard

Primers not seating well. Dents in shoulders/neck. I heard that the primer problem was common with Winchester brass. Maybe it's not really a problem. What y'all think?

Nosler custom brass claims to be prepped and ready for loading right out of the box. ...well, it's pretty close and you can get by doing that depending on your expectations.

You certainly can't do that with most others such as Winchester. You need to develop a good method of procedure that uniforms the brass to include the primer pocket and flash hole.

Dents are annoying and you can either fireform or discard. Many folks sort their new brass and have a certain percentage of outliers that they just discard. You'll discard a lot more with some brands than with others.

-- richard

sleepy time did you try another type of promer with the brass?if so take a good look at the primer pockets for burrs and such.one thing to really do is to look really close at your brass when getting it.just as said before sorting in some way will help out.it may be the case that you might should have returned it.but who knows with out looking at it.maybe you can post some pics for us.but the dings will come out for ya when you run it in a die. 9 the neck will anyway )and the shoulders will when fired.

hey just got a box of 100 from Nosler.again I only buy another brand for a rifel when I have more than one rifel in the same cal.but what I am going to do is take a really good look at it.like one said, it comes ( ready ) to load but not to my loading standards.heck just might cut the primer pockets haven't come to that yet.but by looking at it really close will come up with a game plan for the brass.might just hold onto it for the newbe want to add to my stock of rifels.really want a 223remmy with a 1;7-8 twist barrel.you tha big boys ( 80gn bullets )

but hey thats what a site like this one and a few others are great for.you can ask and you shall get.sometimes just not as nice.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.