Question about load?

Jodipuma

For a 300 win mag this is the load the guy was using with 168 grain hornady bthps

76 grains of rl-22
Cci primers
168 grain hornady bthp moly.

Here is my question I couldn't find rl22 anywhere so I ordered Norma mrp. Where should I start with this to work as close to this load as possible?

I also can't find bthp in moly coating so should I buy the non coated and shoot them? Does it make a difference?

I also heard then when switching back to a regular non coated bullet there is a bunch of cleaning?

For a 300 win mag this is the load the guy was using with 168 grain hornady bthps

76 grains of rl-22
Cci primers

Here is my question I couldn't find rl22 anywhere so I ordered Norma mrp. Where should I start with this to work as close to this load as possible?

I also can't find bthp in moly coating so should I buy the non coated and shoot them? Does it make a difference?

I also heard then when switching back to a regular non coated bullet there is a bunch of cleaning?

This is for a remington 700 bdl

300 Winchester Magnum?

Hllland Magnum?
Short Magnum?
Norma Magnum?
Heavy Magnum?
Light Magnum?

We need to be specific here before we start discussing 300 Winchester Magnum loads.

Could you explain? I have a remington 700 300 win. Mag I don't know what ya mean?

The best immediate source of information that I am confident would be more reliable than shared (and often speculative) information that might be available on various forums, is manufacturer data. Take a look at this site and see if it doesn't provide the data you need to make your decision.
Reloading Data - Norma

Last edited:

76 grains of rl-22
Cci primers

1. Start with the recommended Norma MRP data at the lower end of the recommend loads. It is unrealistic to think you are going to duplicate a RL-22 load with a different power.

2. I have never and will never use a moly coated bullet. I attended a seminar at a Safari Club Internation convention given by a custom gun maker and bench rest shooter. He told of trying to get moly out of a barrel; it finally came out after he heated the barrel to red heat. Of course the barrel wasn't any good after that but I guess if you make guns you can afford to trash a barrel now and then.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.