Quarter bore fans; opinions wanted, what would you do?

If you want big over bore and super velocity go as large as you can in diameter.
leave the length short as is reasonable and life will be better. For you and the barrel.
Like a WSM case or Mega or even 7PRC.
With 100gr pills you will be in the upper echelon, you definitely have the twist and barrel length.
Kudos to you for not handicapping yourself with anything shorter than 26".😄👏
No need to handicap the banshee!
Tell ya what Phil, I'm still probably gonna go the long belted magnum route…for round 1 😁😁😁. This pipe is long enough to try a few different things haha, maybe once I shoot the throat out I'll set it back 4-6 inches and build a .25-300 wsm or something like that off it next

Would a ball powder like us869 help that issue too?
Yes, my first 300-416 Rigby Improved 35° barrel lasted 1080 rounds using only surplus US869, the first 30° barrel was pulled after only 600 rounds and was set back 2" and re-chambered to the above, but I was using a mix of Retumbo, RE25/33 & H50BMG. H50BMG is all I use now in all those wildcats of mine.

Cheers.

Since your barrel is already chambered for 25-06 I'm assuming that you plan on using an action that currently has a standard bolt face? If that's the case, what about making a 25 RPM? It should be fairly easy to neck down 6.5 RPM brass. Just a thought.

I certainly could do that but was leaning towards building it on a savage 111 magnum action…or the 111 standard. Either way, the savage bolt heads can be easily swapped one way or the other.

It is also of zero consequence to me if this is a single feed only rifle.

I almost certainly won't go the rpm route just on account of brass availability and no reamers or dies out there for that wildcat. but it's not a bad idea!!

i think weatherby needs to get on it and legitimize the 6-284 as the 6mm weatherby rpm, total rabbit trail i know but…

I certainly could do that but was leaning towards building it on a savage 111 magnum action…or the 111 standard. Either way, the savage bolt heads can be easily swapped one way or the other.

It is also of zero consequence to me if this is a single feed only rifle.

I almost certainly won't go the rpm route just on account of brass availability and no reamers or dies out there for that wildcat. but it's not a bad idea!!

i think weatherby needs to get on it and legitimize the 6-284 as the 6mm weatherby rpm, total rabbit trail i know but…
Eurooptic has 6.5 RPM Peterson brass in stock. Does anyone make bushing dies? That should take care of the dies with the right bushing. The reamer might be a challenge though.

257 with 30" barrel and twist to accurately shoot the heavy EOL's would be pretty cool IMO - but 257 wby is my all time fav so i'm bias, If you choose to go that route keep us posted on the status so i can live through your wallet and not do it myself! :)
I have .257 WBY (my first .25 cal and WBY cartridge) specifically built for the heavies, but because I wanted it suppressed, I opted for a 22" and 1:7" barrel. I have 131 BJ, 134 Hornady ELD-M, and 133/135 Berger, but I jump to 145 Black Hole, 163 Chinchaga (thanks to @Bghunter338), and soon the 180s.

I have .257 WBY (my first .25 cal and WBY cartridge) specifically built for the heavies, but because I wanted it suppressed, I opted for a 22" and 1:7" barrel. I have 131 BJ, 134 Hornady ELD-M, and 133/135 Berger, but I jump to 145 Black Hole, 163 Chinchaga (thanks to @Bghunter338), and soon the 180s.
163 and 180 grain bullets for a 25 caliber? Holy crap!

163 and 180 grain bullets for a 25 caliber? Holy crap!
Yessir!
1716521446005.png

1716521417228.png

Always cool to see what pushing the envelope can teach us. Whether that's with 180 grain quarter bore bullets or quarter bore cartridges with powder charges that weigh more than the bullet! 🤣🤣🤣
You are correct; there are many ways to push the envelope. Thanks to the availability of faster twist barrels and the willingness of bullet manufacturers to help us do so. Because this is LRH, I prefer the heavier bullet option and push the envelope. @Bghunter338 and I have been sharing information in our load development with the 145 BH and 163 Chinchaga and have learned a lot from them. The scary part is that I am already thinking about future alternatives and possibilities. I have not yet explored its full potential - I am just building a knowledge base. :cool:

For instance, with the 145 BH at 3200 FPS .371 (G7), at my altitude:

900Y = 2225 FPS/1594 FT-LBS - not shabby from a 22" barrel. 🤣

"If" I opt for a 30" barrel and the ~25 FPS rule (WAG) applies, I'll gain ~200 FPS.

1100Y = 2194 FPS/1550 FT-LBS. 😇

In short, it boils down to preference and intended purpose. IMHO, the heavy/high BC bullets are a game changer, especially for a .25 cal. I was neither a .25 cal nor WBY fan before, but they changed my perspective. Cheers!