Quad or SxS

novaman64

So looking at getting either a quad (probable a Honda Rancher 4x4) or a side by side (Honda Pioneer 700 or Polaris Ranger 570). Want something I can fit in my truck, all the above listed will do that. Also want something to use around the ranch, and take hunting. Those of you that have quads or side by sides, any advice on which way to go?

This part of Idaho everyone rides Polaris. All the ranch quads are Polaris. I have rode the Polaris Sportsman 500 sense the early 90's and still have a 96 here on the ranch which is still getting along. My everyday quad is a 2007 Sportsman 500 and I spend probably a hour or more riding everyday in the mountains. When I have to move stuff I pull shop built trailer built especially for these quads.

There is a lot of stuff out there but have noticed one thing about the Polaris. The new quads are not as tough or as well built as the older ones. It's all the competition I guess and they keep building them cheaper and cheaper (more plastic too) and I think they all are doing it. So it's really whatever floats your boat man and fits in your truck!

If I was going to get a side by side it would be the Polaris RZR and pull a trailer.

We have and use both daily, and in my opinion the only serious advantage the quad enjoys over the SxS is in the timber. If the trees you need to negotiate are wide enough apart to clear the SxS all other factors fall by the wayside. Just get a good winch whichever way you go.

I always thought I should have a quad. Because I wanted it to get into the woods to haul deer out. But I decided to go with a side by side. John Deere Gator to be exact. Looked at the Polaris but really didn't like them. So went with the Gator because it has a bigger bed then all others. No it doesn't run down the road at 55 or more (about 45). But I like it. I can pull 3 empty gravity wagons (3700 lbs. each) with no trouble. I can also use the front receiver to back those wagons into the shed. One at a time though. Can get it into the bed of a truck but a friend of mine let me borrow his trailer when ever I want.

So my thought is I can do a whole lot more with a side by side than a quad.

The Gator is a 2013 825i.

Jason

We have the atv (4 wheelers) and I liked them just fine. My wife talked and talked about wanting a side by side. Finally purchased a polaris ranger 570. Not saying this is the only kind to have. But really do like the side by side. It's warmer and way more comfortable to use. It does fit in the back of our pickup which was one reason we went with the ranger 570. You can't close the tail gate (this is on our long box dodge), but you can strap the tailgate up to the rear wheels of the sxs and still pull our camp trailer.

If your like the SXS, go with it. I have the quad's and like them, but I see comfort, and companionship, can go a long way when your out for an all day'r.

I have had both and in my opinion a sxs is MUCH better than a 4 wheeler. #1 - you have a windshield, really helps on those cold days. #2 - Your hands stay much warmer on a sxs since they are not in the wind. #3 - you can have a companion to ride with you on a sxs #4 - the bed, even on a Polaris Razor will hold more than a 4 wheeler. #5 - I feel a sxs is safer as you drive with a steering wheel not handle bars. If not safer is much easier to drive.

The Polaris Razor (and others) are only 50 inches wide, same as a 4 wheeler. Trail legal and will fit in the back of your truck. I have had a Razor for a couple of years now and would never go back to a 4 wheeler.

We use both on my familys ranch, quads if we are needing to be more nimble, side hilling etc. SxS's cant change direction fast enough for working cattle and with the exception of the Polaris RZR we have, they dont sidehill well. I have been leaning towards the Honda Pioneer 700-4 lately partly because of my family of 4, Honda reliability and I dont need a sport model

Well, ended up picking up a quad. Decided a SxS was a little too big for some of what I wanted to use it for hunting (it not much smaller than my little toyota 4x4), not to mention the quad was a fraction of the cost. Plus the misses can ride it when I go out dirtbike riding...

Did some research, talked to buddies, and talked to some dealer techs and ended up finding a used 2011 CanAm Outlander 650 XT-P. Got it from a dealer, 8 hours and 60 miles on it, thing is like brand new, $6500 OTD.

Any body have recommendations for gun/bow racks?

7FE388EB-C195-40C0-B130-2CE10E101F9C_zpsgkv56ekt.jpg

D55A331F-9C9B-40CF-A3D0-E2E36C2B99D9_zpsgdjfkat9.jpg

I have an 800 two up in the Can-am. You'll love it. Don't let the kids drive it for awhile, They got some git up and go..
I put a KOL-PIN Gun boot on instead of a rack. Protection from dirt, snow, and whether. Get the good one. 6.0 impact

So looking at getting either a quad (probable a Honda Rancher 4x4) or a side by side (Honda Pioneer 700 or Polaris Ranger 570). Want something I can fit in my truck, all the above listed will do that. Also want something to use around the ranch, and take hunting. Those of you that have quads or side by sides, any advice on which way to go?
Good choices. I have Rancher and a Polaris quads.

If you are going to be in trees or brush, quad. Otherwise SxS

There is a ratcheting rhino grip that does a good job of hanging on.
Hunt - Kolpin Powersports
My only issue with a lot of the gadgets is mounting them on across the machine.
Tight trails can cause damage to anything sticking out either side.

Don't forget a windshield.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.