pws ar-10

robert j

hey folks. I bought a ar-10 by pws last march and I just got to shoot it yesterday. but I am having a problem this is a new gun. for rounds into the magazine. pull the charging handle back and let it go . put on fire, pull the trigger and gun does not fire. the bolt carrier will not go far enough to let firing pin strike the primer . these are reloads but does the same on factory loads . cycled gun with out a round and made a mark on receiver with a pen cycled a live round and you can see by the pen mark made bolt carrier does not go far enough to let firing pin strike the primer . any help would be appreciated . a 2 thousand gun should shoot all the time .oh at one point I got 10 reloads to shoot I think once the gun heats up and the metal expands the gun will cycle because when it cooled down it stopped working again . thanks for any help bob.

1 round in magazine is it able to chamber that round fully? Tear down the bcg run it very wet, make sure gas tubing isn't hitting, grease up recoil spring buffer tube. I would say more gas or different recoil spring / buffer weight setup

no it was not able to chamber the round .this is a piston driven gun by pws. reading on line and like you said about keeping he bolt carrier wet oiled up . made me start to think that after I got one round fired out of the 10. I used a bore snake to swab out the barrel . do you think that the excess bore cleaner acted as a lubricant to help in the firing of the remaining 9 cartridges . never shot this gun before assumed that it was oiled from the gun dealer. sat in my gun safe for about 6 months . just got to shoot it yesterday.

7.62x51mm chamber or 308 winchester chamber, maybe pick up box zqi 7.62 x 51 walmart see if it chambers that

Run that bolt.carrier.wet. especially on break in

You really need to read about how to lube a bolt carrier

Plenty of utube videos out there

Check the gas key doesn't have a bur keeping the BCG from going into for battery. And that the gas tube is the correct length and installed correctly. In the AR-10 world there are no real standards. I have an AR-6.5 creed and my gas tube is about a 1/4" longer than a standard AR-15 rifle length one if that tube was used with a barrel drilled for a standard length tube one would see this issue also. But I agree if it's not something simple the manufacturer should make this right but the hassle of shipping it back :(

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.