Puzzled.......

ENCORE

I have an issue that just started during my last two shooting sessions and its boggling my mind. Not sure rather something is wrong with the scope or exactly what the heck is going on.

First, the scope is a Leupold VX6, 3-18. The scope is properly mounted to my Ultimate BP Xpress. The scope has a custom matched CDS turret, which has always been dead nuts. Zero the rifle at 200yds, set the turret with 3 allen screws. Once the turret was set at 200, just turn the turret to the range you want to shoot and it was exceptionally close. Actually dead on out to 400yds.

NOTE: All components are identical. No changes in bullet or propellant.

Three weeks ago, I headed to the range and hung targets at 200, 300 and 400yds. I checked the zero at 200yds which was still perfect. When I decided to shoot the 300yd target, as always, I turned the turret to 3 and fired three rounds. All three rounds impacted 6" high, good left to right. I turned the scope back to 2 and sent another round at the 200yd target and it hit properly. When I turned the scope back to 3 (300) and fired three more rounds, the rounds again hit 6" high, good left to right. Thinking it may have been "me", maybe not holding the rifle properly, I started paying a little more attention, dialed the turret to 4 (400) and sent three rounds. Those three rounds hit the target 6" high. ?????? I then turned the turret back down to "2" and sent a round, which was good. Back to 400 and it hit 6" high again but, they just like before grouped. So I thought I'd try something different and zeroed the scope at 300yds and set the turret. Then dialed down the turret to 200yds and sent three rounds, which hit 6" high. Dialed to 400 and sent 3 rounds, all hitting 6" high. I left the range puzzled.........

Fast forward to today......... Headed back to the range, rechecked the zero at 200yds, then shot the 300yd target after making the turret adjustment. 6" high, yet when I dial back down to 200 and shoot, its dead on.

I put in a call for a Leupold representative and will probably receive a call back on Monday.

Looking for thoughts................

Last edited:
What kind of bullets are you shooting?

I had a problem with plastic fouling in my T/C one time that gave me fits. I was getting ridiculous (6-12") horizontal stringing with a proven sub-moa load and I couldn't figure it out. I thought it was the scope for sure, but I replaced it and the problem didn't go away. Somebody suggested that it may be plastic fouling from the sabots I was using. So I got the appropriate cleaner and scrubbed the heck out of it with a wire bore brush. Right back to shooting tight groups! Your symptoms are a little different but a good cleaning couldn't hurt.

Thanks for the response.

I'm shooting a 300gr bullet made by Hornady for UF Inc. called a whitetail medicine bullet (SST).

I'm obsessed with a clean rifle and barrel. So I keep all sabot (if any) buildup out of my barrels. So much so that I run an endoscope down the barrel after cleaning to examine it. Just love muzzleloaders.

Even if Hornady changed the BC, it still shouldn't have started shooting 6" higher than "normal". "Normal" as in the turret was always dead on at all ranges. It shoots and groups as tight as ever, just 6" higher.

I would board check the tracking on the scope to make sure the dials are still accurate. I have not read a lot of positive things about Leupolds tracking abilities. If you have another scope you know is good switch them out and see.

I believe I found the issue. The Leupold standard mount. A pair of Mark 4 rings are in the mail. If they don't work, its on to Badger Ordinance mount and rings.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.