Proud dad of my little 8 year old girl.

That is very cool. Here in Wyoming they can't hunt big game until 12 years old. It's hard to put a number on the age to start hunting. Every youngster matures differently. I have seen some in their twenties and thirties at the range that still are not mature enough to be shooting. Excellent job Dad., and congrats to those little girls.

Good morning,

Just wanted to do a little bragging again on my daughters. My youngest 6, and oldest 8, have both got to fill tags this year. Took them out for youth season and the both got does. Both dropped, with perfect shots from the 6.5-284.

Interesting thing about that hunt was the configuration of the rifle. I have a tikka .223 set up exactly like the 6.5-284. Cheaper and less punishing for them to practice. Both rifles have XLR chassis. I have a stock setup for them, and one for me. When we got to the field I realized immediately that I had forgot to swap stocks, mine is WAY too long for them to use. So I gave them the option of shooting it with the stock folded. I had them practice dryfiring, and they both assured me that they were confident and could make a good shot. (Rifle is attached to tripod via arca so it's a solid setup).

Right at the end of shooting light 2 does came into the field, 160-170 yards. My youngest was up first, she takes the shot and the deer drops. Kids swap on the rifle, the small one is still standing there, oldest takes the shot and drops the small one!! 2 perfect shots within about 15 seconds of each other!

Fast forward to regular firearms season, my oldest was with me on opening day. It was pretty chilly and she was struggling to stay warm. We had a bunch of does come into the opening but they busted us and blew out. About 30 min later she's shivering and ready to head home, but I spotted a big bodied deer through the woods going across the next field over so we quickly got out of the stand and got to the edge of the other field but never spotted the it again. I had a feeling it turned and headed toward the big opening where we had just left. I had to go back to the stand to get my pack and gloves anyway, and figured the quick little bit of moving around would help her get warmed up. We got back to the stand and I quietly climbed up and spotted the big bodied deer, I was pulling the rifle up as she quietly climbed the ladder. It ended up being a pretty decent 8 point, about 120 yards from the stand. She got up and got settled behind the rifle (with the correct stock this time ) took her time and touched the round off. Buck immediately drops. View attachment 515106View attachment 515107View attachment 515109View attachment 515108
Very Sweet and colorful to. Love it.