Proper neck tension on reloaded hunting ammo

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by tsyarnall, Jun 29, 2018.

1. tsyarnall

tsyarnall Member

Could use a little help for a newbie. I can find all kinds of information on neck tension for competition shooting reloading, but nothing on neck tension for hunting. For those that reload, what is a good neck tension to hold your bullet in place with all of the bumping, jumping and climbing while hunting. I was going to start with .002, but seems like .003 or .004 of an inch might be better. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. dok7mm

dok7mm Well-Known Member

I generally start with .002 and rarely go to .003". I have never had any bullet movement with .002". Actual neck tension is hard to quantify due to springback, so we are really adjusting interference fit.

3. Beardeddeer91

Beardeddeer91 Well-Known Member

I agree with dok7mm. I only use a bushing in a FL bushing die that sets the neck tension at .002" in nearly every case. The general range that people I shoot with use is .001-.003" of neck tension.

4. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

I also would choose .002” of neck tension.

5. wsq

wsq Well-Known Member

Just up graded to comp. Redding dies for my 270wsm having trouble getting accurate measurement on Winchester brass I’m using to decide which bushing to use. I’m measuring bullets I loaded with the RCBS I’m replacing. The main reason I’m upgrading is to get a constant seating depth but might as well get neck pressure correct also being I now have a bushing die.

6. jraulsten

jraulsten Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Been using .002 for years with no issues.....

7. tsyarnall

tsyarnall Member

Thank you all for your help. I greatly appreciate it!