Proper neck tension on reloaded hunting ammo

tsyarnall

Could use a little help for a newbie. I can find all kinds of information on neck tension for competition shooting reloading, but nothing on neck tension for hunting. For those that reload, what is a good neck tension to hold your bullet in place with all of the bumping, jumping and climbing while hunting. I was going to start with .002, but seems like .003 or .004 of an inch might be better. Thanks in advance for your help.

I agree with dok7mm. I only use a bushing in a FL bushing die that sets the neck tension at .002" in nearly every case. The general range that people I shoot with use is .001-.003" of neck tension.

Just up graded to comp. Redding dies for my 270wsm having trouble getting accurate measurement on Winchester brass I'm using to decide which bushing to use. I'm measuring bullets I loaded with the RCBS I'm replacing. The main reason I'm upgrading is to get a constant seating depth but might as well get neck pressure correct also being I now have a bushing die.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.