Proof Research Carbon Fiber Contour

Long, skinny, lightweight barrels shoot equally as accurate as shorter, heavier, thick ones.

Both vibrate, whip and wiggle very repeatable from shot to shot.

Tune your loads for best results in each.

Something to keep in mind when others are telling you how much they rifles weigh, besides velocity, the next biggest thing people fib about, is how light their guns are. ;)
Gotta put in "Group size' too. It's always the smallest they ever shot and never an agg.

Got a Cristensen 26 inch barrel with their titanium muzzlebrake on a Remmy LA in 28 Nosler in an EH-1 with nightforce base that comes in at 6.9 without optic.

When I looked at this the CF wrap barrels (Proof, Christiansen, Hardy, etc.) were always heavier than a normal Remington Magnum Sporter weight and obviously more than a Remington Sporter weight.

If it is a hunting rifle where the first shot counts more than any other, normal steel barrels are still lighter than any CF wrap one. They probably won't hold a 5 shot group as well, but with a hunting rifle who cares about 5 shot strings?

Thanks for all the help with this. I was a little torn on swapping out that 4.1 300 WM bbl with a #4 Broughton or carbon fiber, the 4.1 is very tip heavy. I was also not sure about the 300 WM again vs the 30 Nosler. I ended up doing both. I ordered a CA Ridgeline in 30 Nosler and will order a #4 bbl for the WM. They will both get plenty of use. The WM still has some life left in it so I'll spend more time with it this spring and then change it out.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.