Proof Research Carbon Fiber Contour

Moman

Does anyone know which Proof Carbon Fiber barrel profile is similar to the CA Ridgeline barrel? Looking at a 30 Nosler, wondering which profile that would be for a lightweight hunting rifle.

Thanks, I was thinking that was the one but wasn't sure of it.
There are two sendero contours, 1 in 338 and larger has a 1.25" shank, 30 cal and down is 1.2" shank. The 30 cal and down sendero is very similar to proof research carbon profile. Sendero lite is smaller 830 muzzle.

There are two sendero contours, 1 in 338 and larger has a 1.25" shank, 30 cal and down is 1.2" shank. The 30 cal and down sendero is very similar to proof research carbon profile. Sendero lite is smaller 830 muzzle.

I was able to find a couple drawings for the Proof barrels. I'm looking at their Sendero vs Sendero Light both finished at 26" and both show a 1.2" shank. The muzzle diameter of the Proof Sendero would be .914 and the Proof Sendero Light would be .800 . I'm thinking the Sendero Light with a .800 muzzle at 26" would be similar to the finished length of a Christensen Ridgeline in 30 cal. Does that sound right?

I was able to find a couple drawings for the Proof barrels. I'm looking at their Sendero vs Sendero Light both finished at 26" and both show a 1.2" shank. The muzzle diameter of the Proof Sendero would be .914 and the Proof Sendero Light would be .800 . I'm thinking the Sendero Light with a .800 muzzle at 26" would be similar to the finished length of a Christensen Ridgeline in 30 cal. Does that sound right?
You will have to call Christensen to get their barrel contour dimensions as to be sure. They have a target lite and plain target contour. I'm sure they are close to the proof sendero lite and plain sendero but to know for sure I'd call Christensen for there dimensions

No, Christensen barrels have something like a 910 muzzle diameter, they're more similar to the regular 1.2 shank sendero.

Proof Research claims their carbon wrap on barrels conducts heat faster than barrel steel. All the engineering based material heat transfer tables show carbon fiber heat transfer rates are slower than steel transfer rates

Good quality all steel barrels fit to squared up receivers can shoot several dozen shots 10 to 15 seconds apart to a 1/3 MOA group.

Proof Research claims their carbon wrap on barrels conducts heat faster than barrel steel. All the engineering based material heat transfer tables show carbon fiber heat transfer rates are slower than steel transfer rates

Good quality all steel barrels fit to squared up receivers can shoot several dozen shots 10 to 15 seconds apart to a 1/3 MOA group.

Hi Bart, I appreciate the feedback. I'm not opposed to going that route either. I've been thinking about calling a couple bbl makers and try to get estimates on weight. Overall weight is a big concern for me and I'm not sure if there is much if any weight savings in the carbon fiber barrel.

Hi Bart, I appreciate the feedback. I'm not opposed to going that route either. I've been thinking about calling a couple bbl makers and try to get estimates on weight. Overall weight is a big concern for me and I'm not sure if there is much if any weight savings in the carbon fiber barrel.
I built a 300 prc on a defiance ga Hunter long action, 26" bartlein sendero contour bbl, accurate mag bottom metal and a Mcmillan edge fill game hunter stock. Rifle came it at 8lbs even before optics. My point is that with a shorter and less "meaty" steel barrel you could keep the weight down more than you think. I'm not knocking prof barrels as I have a few in some other sticks of mine. I'm just saying there are always different ways of skinning a cat.

I built a 300 prc on a defiance ga Hunter long action, 26" bartlein sendero contour bbl, accurate mag bottom metal and a Mcmillan edge fill game hunter stock. Rifle came it at 8lbs even before optics. My point is that with a shorter and less "meaty" steel barrel you could keep the weight down more than you think. I'm not knocking prof barrels as I have a few in some other sticks of mine. I'm just saying there are always different ways of skinning a cat.

I know what your saying, I've got plenty of heavy guns, just trying to shed some weight off of this. I had a 300 WM built on a Rem 700 action about 10 years ago. It has a Broughton 4.1 finished at 25" with a McMillan Rem Sporter with edge fill. The gun weighs 8 flat with an older VX-III 4.5x14x40 30 mm. It's a great weight but it's all in the barrel and it's super tip heavy. I'm trying to balance it out a little better with that edge filled stock.

Something to keep in mind when others are telling you how much they rifles weigh, besides velocity, the next biggest thing people fib about, is how light their guns are. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.