Pronghorn Tip Steak

• Thread starter Deleted member 107796
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 107796

Hey All,
Cooked up some marinated pronghorn tip steak last night. I've been using a base of lemon juice, olive oil and worcestershire for my marinades and used a spice mix, Great Plains Bison & Beef Rub made by Savory Spice for the main spices. I served it with rice and a gravy made in the pan I used for braising the lope and used some white pepper along with the other spices. My swiss in laws use a lot of white pepper in their recipes and I find it a nice twist from using black pepper.

I cut my hunting teeth on pronghorn on the CO plains where they have a lot of milo and corn and every single one of the critters has tasted great. Sorry about the low res pix.
cheers
Marinade.jpg
Tip Steak.jpg

These look great! Antelope is underappreciated. My brother and I each took an antelope last season in eastern CO. I took the backstraps and loins home right away and cooked them over the next week. They were excellent simply pan seared and oven finished, regardless what we cooked them with (but a fresh porcini rub with a porcini gravy sauce was the favorite). My brother took his and the rest of mine to a local butcher who processed them in 4-5 weeks. All of the meat processed by the butcher has a strong gamey taste, and my family won't eat it without heavy seasoning/brining. The butcher dry aged it in a freezer for a couple of weeks. That does not seem beneficial with antelope based on our experience.

These look great! Antelope is underappreciated. My brother and I each took an antelope last season in eastern CO. I took the backstraps and loins home right away and cooked them over the next week. They were excellent simply pan seared and oven finished, regardless what we cooked them with (but a fresh porcini rub with a porcini gravy sauce was the favorite). My brother took his and the rest of mine to a local butcher who processed them in 4-5 weeks. All of the meat processed by the butcher has a strong gamey taste, and my family won't eat it without heavy seasoning/brining. The butcher dry aged it in a freezer for a couple of weeks. That does not seem beneficial with antelope based on our experience.

I would agree about the lack of need for aging. In early Oct, we need to process quickly due to temps and yet, all of the cuts have been tender. The bucks also taste great. Your porcini sauce sounds really good. If you ever end up in the mountains here, in around late Aug or Sept, it's pretty easy to find good king boletus mushrooms that are choice and the elk and deer know it by the chomp marks I've found on them!

Best meat on the planet!!!!
We often share some our meat (elk/deer) with a couple families that could use some good free protein, but NOBODY gets our antelope!!!!!!
It is a small critter so the riches are that more special. We have a processor, Arapahoe Packing, just E of us that has a super good Italian sausage recipe and I sometimes ask myself, "how many people on this entire planet, are eating pronghorn Italian sausage on this day?" Not many! 🤓

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.