Problems with savage 6.5x284 lrh

muley

Normally, my 6.5x284 shoots really well. It had been in the safe a while and I put on a used Nikon 6-18x40 scope. I couldn't get enough right adjustment out of it. I put the old scope back on and sighted in at 25. I moved back to 100 and it moved about 6" right. I noticed the stock is touching the left hand side of the barrel. Would that be the cause? I know it is not good. Just curious what the affect of the stock touching the left side would be.
I took the stock off and I am going to file off the spot. It is one of the old stocks on the original lrh's that peels. I have heard that Savage sometimes replaces those stocks. Is that true? Are there other fairly inexpensive stocks to replace it with if I decide to?

I know for sure it isn't the scope now. I took it off and put it on my Tikka .30-06 and it shoots really well. I took off the stock and filed on the left side and put it back on. The bore looks really clean. The bases and rings are tight.

This won't help you but, I had the same issue with a lrh in 7mm. I posted the question to Savage without a reply but in their defense they probably get a lot of questions and don't have time to chase them all. The gun had a Warne picatinny base and nightforce rings. I took it to my long range Sensei and in all his wisdom he turned the rings around and remounted the scope. This corrected the issue and gave me the adjustment I needed. I don't know if the issue was in the gun, base or rings but decided to leave well enough alone since it is working.

Filing the stock must have fixed the problem. I had the same problem with the rings in the beginning. The store put them on backwards.

Hey Muley, I hope filing the stock fixed the issue. It is a known fact that the 111 LRH's have had factory issues with the accustock touching the barrel. They are supposed to be stiff with the aluminum block and chassis, but the excess material is notorious for throwing things off.

Hey Muley, I hope filing the stock fixed the issue. It is a known fact that the 111 LRH's have had factory issues with the accustock touching the barrel. They are supposed to be stiff with the aluminum block and chassis, but the excess material is notorious for throwing things off.

The LRH''s I have seen, as well as my own are supplied free floated except for a pressure point at the tip of the forearm. After I sanded mine to fully float the barrel it produced very consistent .25MOA accuracy.

The LRH''s I have seen, as well as my own are supplied free floated except for a pressure point at the tip of the forearm. After I sanded mine to fully float the barrel it produced very consistent .25MOA accuracy.

I did the same thing, and I knew about the issue before I bought the rifle, so I was prepared. I took all of the material down, and have had great success since then. It's too bad I'm in Germany for a couple years, otherwise I'd be trying to burn up a barrel this year.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.