Savage 6.5x284?

MTGunner

I have the opportunity to purchase a new Savage rifle. This due to winning a raffle for a half off Savage rifle. I have many other Rem. 700 rifles in various calibers including a 280AI and 300WSM that I have used for long range work. I am leaning toward the "Long RangeHunter" in a 6.5x284 with a 26" bbl. Can the forum comment on this rifle? Thanx or the input. MTG

I have the opportunity to purchase a new Savage rifle. This due to winning a raffle for a half off Savage rifle. I have many other Rem. 700 rifles in various calibers including a 280AI and 300WSM that I have used for long range work. I am leaning toward the "Long RangeHunter" in a 6.5x284 with a 26" bbl. Can the forum comment on this rifle? Thanx or the input. MTG

What a coincidence! I won half off a Savage rifle at an Egg Shoot a couple of years ago. I got a Savage LRH in 6.5x284. Great shooter. It consistantly shoots .25-.5 MOA at 500 yards with three different loads. it shoots as well as my Cooper that cost a whole lot more. I like the Kardsten stock and the Accutrigger. Only thing I had to do to it was relieve the stock pressure on the tip of the fore end. The barrel is actually 24", 26" with the brake. It still produces the same velocities as my 26" Cooper though.

i have the LRH 11 in 6.5creedmoor and it great submoa all day right out of the box and the vortex scopes look great on them ;-}

Hey Greyfox, what bullets are you shooting and at what velosities? I have one on lay away and was going to pick it up this weekend. Just trying to get a real idea of what to expect.

Thank you gentlemen as you have given me confidence regarding this rifle. I will be purchasing the Savage LRH in a 6.5x284 for long range use in my home state of Montana. Wolf season is upcoming and I need something to reach out to touch 'em seriously. I plan to load Berger VLD hunting in 140 grain. Again, thanks. MTG

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.