Savage Safety Problems

timeless61

I have a Savage Model 12 VLP SS in 300 wsm

the gun is around 4 years old now, never any problems very accurate, I like it a lot.

I shot it today, fired one shot, then when putting another in, noticed that the safety was not working.

the rifle did not discharge or anything like that, but the safety would not go into the safety position, where the bolt cannot move.

if the safety is in the middle position, i can close the bolt and put it into the furthest back position, full safe, but once i move the safety to furthest forward position, the fire position, i am unable to move the safety back again.

I shot the rifle Thursday evening, and had 0 problems it functioned perfectly.

what would be causing this?

upon further inspection, the rod that holds the trigger into the action is bent, i am not sure how or why that happened, but it is straight and where it goes through the spring for the bolt release lever, that is bent from that point to the retaining head end.

could this be causing that? I am unsure

has anyone experienced anything like this, or know why it would happen?

thanks in advance

If I remember right the Savage has a screw in the safety bar or rear top of the trigger that allows it to be adjusted. It is very sensitive and can be a pain to set. The head of the screw is filled with plastic after it is set at the factory. If that cross pin is bent it could have caused just enough change in alignment to do what you are seeing. I've been through getting that thing adjusted a few times after putting different triggers in. I'd say replace the pin and see how it goes. If it still doesn't work you might have to do some adjusting and A LOT of testing when you think you have it right again.

Yes it sounds as if the safety screw in the trigger body itself is up to far, possibly due to the retainer pin being bent, if not back it down a little, as mention they are sensative so it may take you 10 trys to get it right.

okay, thanks for the replies, that makes sense.

my next question is how would that rod get bent? i would not think that spring would put enough pressure on it to bend it over time?

that part of the problem is strange to me.

thanks again.

p.s

now another question, I was looking for the pin online, but cannot come accross it, and have not seen any good pictures either, but should that pin have a clip on the opposite the head of it? my pin never had a clip, but i have found instructions to replace the trigger group it says to remove an e-clip, my gun never had one, should there have been one?

also, where can i get this pin/clip or just pin if it is not supposed to have a clip fairly fast anyone other than savage?

thanks again

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.